ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Bianco

RebReb

Two-Star Prospect
Apr 19, 2002
Honestly, I feel like he is getting better as a coach. He seems to have gotten over his determination to bunt the runner over in every situation and also seems less determined to over-manage every situation. My only complaint is that we still probably lead the nation in getting runners gunned down at the plate. Sending the runner when the throw is obviously going to beat them may work in little league or even high school ball but at this level we seem to be getting out on it 90 percent of the time. Still, even though we went 0-2 in the regional, no coach can hit for the players or make plays for them. As a group, our guys just didn't step up and hit in the post-season.

The past two seasons were probably Bianco's best two seasons as a coach. We basically tied for 3rd in the nation last season. Coming into this season we lost something like 13 or 14 players who were significant contributors last season AND we played the toughest schedule in the country yet we still made it to a regional.

Anytime you don't win the NC somebody will be unhappy but overall Coach Bianco seems to have stepped up his game.

Getting blasted out of the SEC Tournament and then going 0 and 2 in a regional (and not even getting to host a regional) doesn't cut it when you have top-notch facilities and are #2 in the nation in attendance. Yes, he finally got to the CWS last year, but overall, especially when taking into account the resources he has at Ole Miss, he has continually underachieved.

Reactions: EttaReb
I agree with you Vaught. I suppose if he gets to Omaha once in the next 15 years everyone will be happy.

No one wants to get to Omaha more than Mike Bianco. But the fact is he probably did his best job of coaching this past year. We lost a ton of talent from the Omaha team. We had two starters and a top reliever go down with TJ surgery. I saw a change in Bianco last year. He finally started listening to people. He has mellowed a lot from the Mike Bianco I met 10 ears ago. Not as high strung and hard headed. I talked to the person who was in his house when Skip Berkman called and offered him the LSU job prior to hiring Maniere. Bianco mulled over the offer all night that night. He called Berkman the next day and turned down the job even though he knew the Ole Miss job was more difficult. He wanted a program with his own mark stamped on it, not Berkman's. Mike loves Ole Miss and Oxford and he's one of the top 10 coaches in America. No other coach we hire can do any better considering the scholarship limitations we have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT