ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: I keep coming back to Ole Miss pass protection...

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
... as such a big key today. That's been an achilles for the Rebels at times over the past couple years, and Alabama blitzed a lot relatively against Texas. It wouldn't surprise me if plans are somewhat similar. Quinn Ewers had a big day because he had time to have a big day, and especially if Tre Harris is out or limited, Jaxson Dart needs to get through progressions.

Ewers dropped back 40 times and faced pressure six times with no sacks. Alabama blitzed 40 percent of the time on passing plays but couldn't get home. Ewers completed 60 percent of his passes under pressure with a drop. Overall, he was 24-for-38 for 349 and three scores. He actually had more time to throw on average when blitzed than when not blitzed. And he made quick, excellent decisions.

Jaxson Dart has been excellent with decision making so far this season, and this is the exam in that way. Read it correctly and execute the correct decision. That's what Ewers did that was so textbook in that game. When not blitzed he was 15-for-23 for 265, throwing the ball on average of 2.26 seconds after the snap. Alabama's pass defense got a 58 pass rush grade from PFF for the Texas game.

Ole Miss got a 54 pass protection grade against Tulane and a 74 (which is above average) against Georgia Tech. For whatever it's worth, McGee and Curne have Ole Miss' best PFF pass blocking grades through three games. Williams and Warren are at the bottom. However, McGee and Curne have the lowest grades on the team in pass blocking in true pass sets. As a team, Ole Miss is far better pass blocking in RPOs. Just a random thing I noticed digging into the numbers. It's a small sample size because they rarely are in true pass sets but anyway just pointing it out.

The Rebels have put a running back in pass protection 15 times so far this season, and Heath has six pass blocking snaps. It's one the five up front and Dart to operate this thing today effectively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News