ADVERTISEMENT

Oh goodness!

zreb

All-Pro NFL
Feb 27, 2002
Ole Miss vs Tx Tech in the Liberty That's not making my night . The hell with that projection.

Obviously this pin head is basing everything on our dismal showing in the Peach Bowl. If he studied the subject he would have realized our OL was put together with duct tape and bubble gum for that game. It is the only thing that kept that game from being interesting. (Of course it doesn't hurt to have #1 back.)

Yeah extenenuatimg circumstances but certainly demoralizing.

not to mention we were playing a pissed off team which had been left out of the playoffs AND was arguably the best team in the country at that point. And they were just plain better than we were in 2014. They were the better team and, frankly, better coached.

That said, it DID seem that we just rolled over and played dead. We had no focus at all. And recently the powers-that-be added insult to injury by issuing commemorative "participation" rings. Whether or not we actually "participated" in that game is debatable.

A Liberty Bowl bid would mean we are around 6 or 7 wins - and that would be completely unacceptable with the talent we have returning.

I couldn't wear that ring without thinking of that skull dragging. We need to look to coaching as more if a question than our talent. They can recruit but coaching jury is out.

Unless we totally implode with injuries or such don't expect anything less than a New Year's Day bowl. Sometimes they start making these lists and get several teams at the end they have no idea what to do with them. Ole Miss is such a case in point.

By the way, there are other "reputable" publications that have the Rebels going to a better bowl.

boys i have watched a lot of football in my 73 years (most of it ole miss ball) and that peach bowl game was as thorough a butt whipping as any i have ever seen. you can make all the excuses you want to but at the end of the day the fact is they were a far superior and better prepared team than we were.

Defense has great overall talent, but is questionable at linebacker where we lost 3 seniors. Offense has questions at every position except receiver. O line has been problematic since Coach Freeze was hired. Running game...Who? Quarterback? Buchanan? Kincade? Kelly? Kelly's never played a down of SEC ball.

In my opinion, it starts with the O-line. Depth and overall talent has been a problem since Freeze arrived in Oxford. If they progress, then our QB and RB's have a chance. If not, it may be a long season. Games AT Bama, Auburn, and MS STake add to the degree of difficulty.

6 or 7 wins and a Liberty Bowl bid, however disappointing, is not outside the realm of possibility.

I believe it would be great to play mem, tn at or even Mo there in a reg season game. Low cost high turnout. IMHO of course.

Defense has great overall talent, but is questionable at linebacker where we lost 3 seniors. Offense has questions at every position except receiver. O line has been problematic since Coach Freeze was hired. Running game...Who? Quarterback? Buchanan? Kincade? Kelly? Kelly's never played a down of SEC ball.

In my opinion, it starts with the O-line. Depth and overall talent has been a problem since Freeze arrived in Oxford. If they progress, then our QB and RB's have a chance. If not, it may be a long season. Games AT Bama, Auburn, and MS STake add to the degree of difficulty.

6 or 7 wins and a Liberty Bowl bid, however disappointing, is not outside the realm of possibility.

OL depth has been issue forever. We have rarely signed the top players (Tunsil exception), and IMHO, in never enough numbers. Due to injury, attrition, or missevalution, signing 3-4 on any given year will run risk of not having adequate depth. It has been stated many times how long it takes to build an effective OL, and constantly having to shuffle personnel due to depth problems further complicates the process. P.S. Freeze made the smart move rebuilding a strong defense first. Now, hopefully he can do the same on offense.

Last edited:
Freeze got help from Nutt on that one. He saw promise in DK and hope to land RK. That started the upswing in defensive talent. Nutt also brought gholson and Pruitt who proved more than capable. Seems like CJ has helped Freeze look good too. To his credit, Freeze has continued the building.

OL depth has been issue forever. We have rarely signed the top players (Tunsil exception), and IMHO, in never enough numbers. Due to injury, attrition, or missevalution, signing 3-4 on any given year will run risk of not having adequate depth. It has been stated many times how long it takes to build an effective OL, and constantly having to shuffle personnel due to depth problems further complicates the process. P.S. Freeze made the smart move rebuilding a strong defense first. Now, hopefully he can do the same on offense.

True, the issues you've state have hindered the o line's progress. However, Freeze is entering year 4 with large concerns on the o line...By comparison, Coach Bert at Arky built an NFL caliber line in less than 2 years. Having an SEC caliber o-line entering season 4 is not an unreasonable expectation.

If the o line falters this season and the offense is unable to sustain drives, our strong D will wear down...See LSU, Arkansas, and TCU from last season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT