ADVERTISEMENT

Should (D1) college football move to 4 16(+) team conferences?

12375CAT

Rotation Player
Feb 15, 2012
ec255579-b732-4d45-9ce6-4dcba5c3de53_zpsceaj8q8r.jpg

It's probably inevitable but when it happens I expect the four conferences to bolt from the NCAA and form their own organization. The major schools are handicapped by the smaller schools making all the rules. The funny thing is many of the "smaller" schools are larger than Ole Miss and Miss State but have fan bases that care little about athletics and don't support all of them and support only football or basketball. Some don't even have football teams. The result is holding down baseball scholarships that hurt the schools that do. Two of the four top baseball schools in attendance, Ole Miss and Miss State, are hamstrung with low scholarships numbers.

Last edited:
I agree ranch. The 1-A football schools need to set up their own organization so as to be better able to police themselves and also more fairly distribute revenue.

I hope not.....I like the "character" of it now, seriously, I like the random MAC v. B10 & MWC match ups.

Don't make college football the same as at the NFL.

I hope not.....I like the "character" of it now, seriously, I like the random MAC v. B10 & MWC match ups.

Don't make college football the same as at the NFL.

The problem is schools who have students and alums who don't support athletics have the same vote as SEC schools and pull us down. Baseball is a prime example. Scholarship limitations are the result of schools who can't financially support baseball.

I would not mind having 5 conferences with 16 members and then the rest of the FBS schools could return to 1-AA. Schools Like UL-M, Charlotte, Idaho etc need to play down a level so as to be more able to compete. I would also like to see a rule change stating that a team is bowl eligible with a 6-6 record once every 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT