ADVERTISEMENT

Will we get a big RB this year in recruiting?

Nerky

Three-Star Prospect
Jan 21, 2002
I sure hope we can get a 220 lb RB like some of our SEC West brethren have. I think that is a huge reason why we struggle running the ball. I know the OL needs work, but it sure seems a big back that runs downhill would sure make a difference. Is CHF just not keen on having size and prefers the small backs that seek the edge?

Dexter McCluster at 165 pounds rushed for over 1000 yards in his final season at Ole Miss.

More O-Linemen are needed in recruiting and it's time for guys like Daronte Bouldin, Davion Johnson, and Christian Morris to step up and be players. I find it interesting that Coach Bert at Arky has a dominating O line in his second season and our line as a unit has been anything from problematic to abysmal over three seasons.

it's time for guys like Daronte Bouldin, Davion Johnson, and Christian Morris to step up and be players.
COACHING. Why has the O-line coach not been replaced ??

This post was edited on 1/6 7:44 AM by TheVaught

Swinney is our only RB for this class. He committed to us with the understanding that he was the only RB that we would recruit. We do have a bigger RB committed for the 2016 class already. a 215lb, 4* rb from bama

Dexter McCluster was a all postion player. Although I would love for us to have another player like him, We still need a Stud horse in the Back field. Even with Dexter here we were terrible at 3rd, 4th and short.

Guess what guys you don't need a big running back to win games. We won 9 without one and TCU pummeled us without one. I know you guys think the QB has to be under center with a fullback and tailback behind him in the old days but it's not the case anymore. If you want to cheer for and LSU or Alabama or Georgia style offense they are always looking for bandwagon fans. The simple truth is a big back doesn't work in our offense. If it did Judd would have been the starter instead of being redshirted. Also if Judd is the answer and as some claim will be the starter next year why redshirt him this year if he is that good?

Originally posted by oxreb55:

a Dexter McCluster comes along once every 20 years. we need a Deuce McAllister right now!
A deuce apparently only comes around every 100 years because we've never had anyone else close to his talent.

True we won 9 games without one, So true, only 9. Wonder what would have happened if we'd had one?

would you rather have?

Deuce or Dexter?

Are you saying Bo Jackson, Deuce, Herschel walker, Nick Chubb couldnt play for our offense? That's ridulous.

Originally posted by Leecountyrebel:
True we won 9 games without one, So true, only 9. Wonder what would have happened if we'd had one?

would you rather have?

Deuce or Dexter?

Are you saying Bo Jackson, Deuce, Herschel walker, Nick Chubb couldnt play for our offense? That's ridulous.
You just listed 2 heisman trophy winners and the best running back to ever put on a rebel uniform. The offense would have been changed to suit them and i will say Nick Chubb may have gotten more yards than our current backs but he wouldn't have broke 1k. Our offense isn't an inside power game. If the line can't open holes big backs can't make yards. If all we needed was a big body to get yards why does liggens only get 2 yards a carry? None of those 3 backs you listed first would have been all americans behind our line.

I just don't believe that a big powerful back wouldn't help our offense. You are correct, Walter Payton couldn't have rushed for 500 yrds behind the lineman we have. But it's not the system it's our particular line. A large back would be fine in a spread, fast tempo offense. Especially after the defense was worn down some. Saying a large "Deuce" type back wouldn't fit in any offense is kinda silly. But hey what do I know?

My prediction is next years team be more emphasized on running as more of a forced issue than an option and I don't see us having a super great season offensively. Hope I'm wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT