ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts

KentuckyReb

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2005
Everything in the world that had to happen for Kentucky to win that game did. It was weird.

First half offensive approach was strange. First drive was electric, as usual. I’ve come to expect that from Lane and Co. It almost felt like Lane and Charlie were playing with their toys. RPOs could have something to do with that, I don’t know.

For the remainder of the first half we showed no commitment to the running game. People are complaining that we can’t run the football, I don’t see it that way. We just didn’t. I do know when your opponent is showing 2 high, you have a numbers advantage in the box, and we didn’t make them pay. I don’t know if that’s because we aren’t able, the coaches chose not to, or Lane and Charlie saw some sort of advantage in the passing game. IMO, when a team is giving you something you have to take it. We are going to have to be able to run against 2 high in the future to get where we want to be. We stayed behind the sticks through the second quarter and put Dart in some really tough third down situations where UK could drop into coverage and rush 3-4. That’s a recipe for failure against a team with SEC talent.

Second half started with a defensive stop which was great. You could see we made some adjustments in the run game. I’m not a coach, so I could definitely be wrong here, but it looked like we started attaching a TE, and attacking a numbers advantage in the box. We did this enough to make UK bring a safety into the box and had success on a shot play to Tre early in the third. At this point, I thought we were going to get in rhythm offensively and start to pull away. We were showing a commitment to running the football and we’re starting to get them on their heels. We promptly fumbled in the red zone. From this point on the game got weird and squirrelly.

The Good: the defense as a whole. The front played incredibly well. There’s real talent and effort there. They got pressure. They were good against the run. Super impressed with Ivy getting after the QB. The entire group plays hard and makes plays. Walter Nolen is an absolute menace. Idk what goes on with him on the sideline, but if he’s going to come back out on the field and play like that, I don’t care. The LBs were down hill in the run game and tackled really well. TJ does a fantastic job communicating calls and checks to his teammates. Paul is a baller, is physical, and plays with a noticeable intensity that I love. He’s sound and plays his ass off. Perkins popped a few times yesterday and didn’t look to be any sort of liability in the run game.
I know we were penalized 5 times on defense and three times for PI on third downs, but those were 50/50 calls that just aren’t going to go against us all the time. Those are correctable mistakes. People are complaining about our backend, but I didn’t see WRs running free at all. Hat tip to UK for making some plays and Brock delivering the ball with accuracy.

A few things I didn’t understand: our offensive approach in the first half. I wish we had shown a certain level of commitment to the running game. We didn’t. Don’t know why. Don’t know if it’s RPOs. Don’t know if it’s game plan. I just don’t get it.
I don’t know why we didn’t spread the ball around. Everything was to Tre. I don’t know if that’s a matchup thing, a dart thing, an OC thing, or what?!? I know I would’ve like to take advantage of some of the other talent on the field.

Some stuff that leaves me feeling optimistic: I’ve watched a ton of football in my life and would consider watching college football my hobby. Again, I'm not a coach, so feel free to disagree, but this team looks to have what it takes to regroup and make a run. Defense travels, and ours is good. Really good.

As far as the 2019 LSU offense stuff goes, I was wrong. It was a bad take. I’ll take my lumps. For those of you in my DMs getting personal and having hissy fits, grow the **** up. Learn how to take an L in life without needing someone to pitch a fit at. You wouldn’t say what you typed in person. Ever. We both know that. I’m a happy and optimistic person when it comes to OM sports, my personal and work life, and I’m not apologizing for that. ever. I’m a fan just like many of you. Well, not like some of you. Some of you are pathetic and useless.

Hat tip to Mark and UK for a hell of a plan, sticking to it, and having our number yesterday. I have a lot of long suffering UK buddies who that win meant a lot to. Happy for them.

Hopeful and optimistic that we regroup and have a great performance in Columbia. We have the best staff and talent that I’ve seen in my lifetime. I trust them to right the ship.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and LFG!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.