ADVERTISEMENT

Article answers what Ole Miss fans already know...

ArmyReb12

Three-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Sep 2, 2019
Houston, TX
...if years like last season prove anything, it’s that Ole Miss can’t count on unswayable fans to fill up the stadium every season. The athletic department can’t control what happens on the field. Just the atmosphere around it.

And, scene... I always enjoy finding media that just confirms opinions and ideas that already exists with virtually anyone that has even the slightest idea of what's occurring. So it was much to my delight this morning when I discovered a saucy little piece in the Clarion Ledger before my workout.

Title: Ole Miss party section, beer and more: Here's how Rebels' home games will be different [Link Below]

Interested? You know I am... especially after the Daily Mississippian's post of the photos of said party decks... the same photos that hit the message boards here harder, and more profoundly than that one photo of the migrant mother on her way to California (fun fact: most Ole Miss fans look just as perplexed and worried nowadays).
famous-photographs-Dorothea.Lange_.1936-migrant-mother.jpg

However, experiences may vary with the article... by that I mean what I discovered was wholly disappointing.

Coming off a year that represented a 10-year low in college football attendance nationwide, Ole Miss is revamping almost every phase of the game-day experience this season as it battles a trend that has affected attendance at some of the most successful football programs around the country.

So how can Ole Miss keep fans coming into the stadium even as its football team struggles? Ole Miss doesn't have one strategy. It has plenty.

From changes in ticketing policy to the installation of a student party section to enhancements to the scoreboard, Ole Miss has made an offseason worth of changes in an attempt to reverse its alarming football attendance trend.

Did anyone else read, "plenty" as, "WE'RE GETTING KIND OF DESPERATE... help." I sure did. Ok... soooo what does @michaelthompson have to say?

The most important thing is to fill the stadium,” Michael Thompson, deputy athletic director, told the Clarion Ledger. “Get people there. Create a home field advantage. The more people in the stadium means a better atmosphere.

“We’ve seen in all the research that we’ve done on fan experience that there is something really important about the camaraderie of having that stadium full.

Uhhhhhh.... dooooiiiii... I swear to God if you spent money on that research to actually discover those findings.... Lord help me, you, and us. Moving on, what fans and presumably the Athletics Department (I hope) already know is it will take wins to fill the stadium. Reference the first quote in the post. Pieces like this just make laugh and feel immeasurable depression. Were not a good football team (maybe this year will be different), but these kinds of pieces just confirm what we are already thinking. Fix the Athletics Department (how? I don't know... not my job), hire a Chancellor, and resource the football team to field a successful team. It's really that simple, or simply said anyway. If you need any other proof look at the graph in the article [link below]... successful seasons usually correlate with higher attendance rates. Shocking, I know.

https://infogram.com/ole-miss-attendance-1h8n6mqmwxym2xo

I feel bad for @michaelthompson. Look at it this way, imagine your standing outside a house engulfed in flames. You're being told to put out a fire, however, you lack hoses, firefighting equipment, etc. However, you are authorized to build a pool in the backyard. Ok... you're heading in the right direction. Water is getting on the scene, but that water is just not going to help. Here's to hoping we win this year, otherwise you probably won't be able to pay fans to come to a game.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...es-rebels-home-games-sec-football/2189038001/

And, scene... I always enjoy finding media that just confirms opinions and ideas that already exists with virtually anyone that has even the slightest idea of what's occurring. So it was much to my delight this morning when I discovered a saucy little piece in the Clarion Ledger before my workout.

Title: Ole Miss party section, beer and more: Here's how Rebels' home games will be different [Link Below]

Interested? You know I am... especially after the Daily Mississippian's post of the photos of said party decks... the same photos that hit the message boards here harder, and more profoundly than that one photo of the migrant mother on her way to California (fun fact: most Ole Miss fans look just as perplexed and worried nowadays).
famous-photographs-Dorothea.Lange_.1936-migrant-mother.jpg

However, experiences may vary with the article... by that I mean what I discovered was wholly disappointing.

Did anyone else read, "plenty" as, "WE'RE GETTING KIND OF DESPERATE... help." I sure did. Ok... soooo what does @michaelthompson have to say?

Uhhhhhh.... dooooiiiii... I swear to God if you spent money on that research to actually discover those findings.... Lord help me, you, and us. Moving on, what fans and presumably the Athletics Department (I hope) already know is it will take wins to fill the stadium. Reference the first quote in the post. Pieces like this just make laugh and feel immeasurable depression. Were not a good football team (maybe this year will be different), but these kinds of pieces just confirm what we are already thinking. Fix the Athletics Department (how? I don't know... not my job), hire a Chancellor, and resource the football team to field a successful team. It's really that simple, or simply said anyway. If you need any other proof look at the graph in the article [link below]... successful seasons usually correlate with higher attendance rates. Shocking, I know.

https://infogram.com/ole-miss-attendance-1h8n6mqmwxym2xo

I feel bad for @michaelthompson. Look at it this way, imagine your standing outside a house engulfed in flames. You're being told to put out a fire, however, you lack hoses, firefighting equipment, etc. However, you are authorized to build a pool in the backyard. Ok... you're heading in the right direction. Water is getting on the scene, but that water is just not going to help. Here's to hoping we win this year, otherwise you probably won't be able to pay fans to come to a game.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...es-rebels-home-games-sec-football/2189038001/

I can live with the losing......we have been season ticket holders for many years, so we have seen some really poor teams.....but the games were fun.....Rebs may have lost, but we left after a having a great experience......

The games aren’t fun anymore.....they have taken away so many of the traditions that made the experience meaningful and enjoyable....

Now, we are left with nothing but a bad team and a boring experience

We seldom go anymore.....I sell or give away our tix.......I have kept them in hopes things would get better......but after all the things that have happened on campus lately, this is our last season.....

They probably won’t miss us......and there’s really not much left for us to miss about ole miss....

Reactions: Fishing123
I can live with the losing......we have been season ticket holders for many years, so we have seen some really poor teams.....but the games were fun.....Rebs may have lost, but we left after a having a great experience......

The games aren’t fun anymore.....they have taken away so many of the traditions that made the experience meaningful and enjoyable....

Now, we are left with nothing but a bad team and a boring experience

We seldom go anymore.....I sell or give away our tix.......I have kept them in hopes things would get better......but after all the things that have happened on campus lately, this is our last season.....

They probably won’t miss us......and there’s really not much left for us to miss about ole miss....
I feel the same way !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT