ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Hugh Freeze

Nov 25, 2017
Do you guys feel that he is betraying the university by considering a job at Bama? Remember it was his two wins against Bama that catapulted the investigation to begin with. Would you prefer he coach in another conference starting backing and then transition his way back to the SEC. He does have a family to feed.

What are your thoughts?

Mixed. The investigation was a sham start to finish. I don't like how this has turned out but it is what it is. Fortunately there is possible vindication in the RR suit but the rest is a mess.

Do you guys feel that he is betraying the university by considering a job at Bama? Remember it was his two wins against Bama that catapulted the investigation to begin with. Would you prefer he coach in another conference starting backing and then transition his way back to the SEC. He does have a family to feed.

What are your thoughts?
I think hiring Freeze as OC would be bad for Bama. Dan Werner baled him out with his third down play calling. Freeze was a bad play caller. Dan was the real QB coach too. Freeze is overrated.

Reactions: PhantomPhlyer
I think hiring Freeze as OC would be bad for Bama. Dan Werner baled him out with his third down play calling. Freeze was a bad play caller. Dan was the real QB coach too. Freeze is overrated.
When you think about it, Saban aint' taking Freeze. Saban is too elitist but Freeze has got some ability, def can 'cruit.

Funny how the spin changes now that Hugh is gone.

Funny how the spin changes now that Hugh is gone.
Go back and read posts on that subject from the last several years. Freeze was constantly criticized for play calling. We liked him as a HC, but we all wanted him to leave the play calling to the OC.

My opinion is that in this college football industry at some point you have to pay your dues before you can just start to outright win. No disrespect to Freeze but no one with his background had the right to just come in and dominate Nick like that two years straight. So someone had to slow that wagon down. Them hiring him would be like I’m sorry I did that to you, let me hire you and resurrect your career. That is how I see it. This is a dirty world we live in. Think about it, you get a show clause as a head coach but you can go and be an assistant anywhere you won’t with no consequences. Something is not adding up. As much I want you guys to believe but there is a whole lot of politicking in college football.

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?
if freeze can't feed his family on the millions he has made in the past several years, he is a really bad money manager.

Freeze may be a great play caller but could not be a head coach and a play caller. Freeze is likly 3 years from another head coaching job. I suspect we will be playing against him sooner than most think. Ole MIss contrary to what many thought/wished will not be the end to CHF.

Freeze may be a great play caller but could not be a head coach and a play caller. Freeze is likly 3 years from another head coaching job. I suspect we will be playing against him sooner than most think. Ole MIss contrary to what many thought/wished will not be the end to CHF.

Agreed

Reactions: horn65
When you think about it, Saban aint' taking Freeze. Saban is too elitist but Freeze has got some ability, def can 'cruit.
Freeze recruited through Jesus. That won’t work as well as it used to.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
Freeze recruited through Jesus. That won’t work as well as it used to.

Agree, don't see him as a plus on the trail. I like his play calling but as someone on this board pointed out, his O is pretty pee poor in short yardage situations.

I'm not sure how that would play at Bama.

Btw, I do think it's still pretty possible that he lands a position coach spot. Its also possible he'll get support for the first year but that's not looking as likely imho.

We will see.

Freeze has already added credentials to his resume. You have guys like Les Miles offering a job to him if he ever gets a HC position again. Nick bringing him in for a interview. Once you are in then you are in. Like someone above posted it may not be a SEC job in the future but someone will look beyond his issues and hire him as a head coach like a Purdue, Univ of Virginia type of school. Also my opinion on his play calling. Offensive line recruiting was probably our biggest hinderance during his tenure or any other HC tenure. We may get a OL here and there but to consistently get the cream of the crop is unheard of. I say that to say this, you play call based on the type of depth you have. OM never had that type of line ever. If Bama was to hire him, I def think you’ll see more of what was not given at OM. We didn’t have the quality line to run most plays that he had. Everything was quick to hurry up and get the ball out. Also it affected the WR because they weren’t able to find tune their route running, learning to beat press man and things of that nature. So it’s a whole lot that goes into what I’m saying but I’m overall thankful for the buzz that we have been having as a university athletically wise.

There is no doubt that Hugh Freeze is a quality coach and has gotten lots of attention from the media and his peers. Freeze took a dumpster fire created by Houston's Mutt, and transformed that team into a championship group of players. Just as Mutt went into vacation mode, it seems like Freeze did the same thing. He enjoyed the success and notoriety and allowed his narcissist ego to get the best of him, and then seemed to quit coaching. Now many fan will blame the NCAA investigation for Freeze's subpar year, but NCAA investigations have not always halted the progress of other teams.

If you want to know if Freeze is an offensive genius, just ask him. Freeze did have some good play calling abilities, but many things were questionable. Werner often bailed out Freeze when Hugh wanted to use some of the hokey, junior high type plays on third down, red zone, and short yardage.

The red zone packages that Freeze ran were totally predictable. He would change out offensive personnel just at the team that had moved the ball down the field had momentum. Most of the time he put in a running QB to do a QB draw or snapped the ball to someone in a Wild Rebel formation. Another questionable thing is the fact that even in short yardage he put the QB in the shotgun formation which put the QB 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage and provided the defensive players a clear view of the possibilities of a potential play.

One thing to consider about Freeze getting another job is that coaches can easily recruit against him. They can indicate that he is a deceiver and a hypocrite who fooled many fans and recruits, so how can he truly be trusted?

Regardless, Saban may give Freeze a chance as an offensive analyst, but you can be assured that Saban will make the final calls. It will be interesting to see how Freeze reacts as soon as he does something that Saban does not like. Snake is an ass kisser, so he should not have much of a problem trying to buddy up with Saban.

Freeze has already added credentials to his resume. You have guys like Les Miles offering a job to him if he ever gets a HC position again. Nick bringing him in for a interview. Once you are in then you are in. Like someone above posted it may not be a SEC job in the future but someone will look beyond his issues and hire him as a head coach like a Purdue, Univ of Virginia type of school. Also my opinion on his play calling. Offensive line recruiting was probably our biggest hinderance during his tenure or any other HC tenure. We may get a OL here and there but to consistently get the cream of the crop is unheard of. I say that to say this, you play call based on the type of depth you have. OM never had that type of line ever. If Bama was to hire him, I def think you’ll see more of what was not given at OM. We didn’t have the quality line to run most plays that he had. Everything was quick to hurry up and get the ball out. Also it affected the WR because they weren’t able to find tune their route running, learning to beat press man and things of that nature. So it’s a whole lot that goes into what I’m saying but I’m overall thankful for the buzz that we have been having as a university athletically wise.
You are correct about our O line in Freeze’s early years. Even the good ones we signed reported way overweight. I won’t mention any names but some stayed overweight and lacked mobility. Their weight resulted in injuries too. The NFL didn’t even offer them free agent contracts. I was good friends with the dads of two of our O linemen and those two complained about the overweight players. My only criticism of Matt was not keeping Morris and Bell on strict weight limits. The Grill has helped a lot.

You are correct about our O line in Freeze’s early years. Even the good ones we signed reported way overweight. I won’t mention any names but some stayed overweight and lacked mobility. Their weight resulted in injuries too. The NFL didn’t even offer them free agent contracts. I was good friends with the dads of two of our O linemen and those two complained about the overweight players. My only criticism of Matt was not keeping Morris and Bell on strict weight limits. The Grill has helped a lot.

EXACTLY RANCH!!!!! Those were the first two, especially Bell I had in mind. Like I don’t want to criticize the young men but they would not have had any place on my line, maybe as a backup. They couldn’t block anyone.

Unless they make Cunningham play offense, we better be hooking up at least 3 OL more in this class or graduation and early NFL will take a toll on us next year it would appear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT