ADVERTISEMENT

Coach search

Rebel Mic

Five-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2005
Out of they group of coaches Chase posted ... I like Luke... (not because of the OM ties) hope he does well. Not sold on Strong, Lane, Miles, Bobo... thoughts?

Reactions: reb859
Steve-Spurrier.jpeg

Strong I doubt want to come back to Oxford as it's reported his wife didn't like it when he was here.

Out of they group of coaches Chase posted ... I like Luke... (not because of the OM ties) hope he does well. Not sold on Strong, Lane, Miles, Bobo... thoughts?
Tuberville is available.

Course he's been calling for the entire athletic department's head so.....

would Ole Miss consider any of the following?
1. Phil Fulmer- hasn't coached in a while but a proven winner with a knowledge of what it takes to win in the SEC.
2. Tommy or Terry Bowden- again known coaches who could get the team through probation and might not cost a lot of money.
3.Skip Holtz- proven winner with a good pedigree. Ole Miss, even on probation, is a huge step up from LA Tech.
4.Neal Brown-Young coach with a great offensive mind. Would probably cost a lot but would produce an entertaining brand of football and could be the long-term answer.

1. Phil Fulmer- hasn't coached in a while but a proven winner with a knowledge of what it takes to win in the SEC.
2. Tommy or Terry Bowden- again known coaches who could get the team through probation and might not cost a lot of money.
3.Skip Holtz- proven winner with a good pedigree. Ole Miss, even on probation, is a huge step up from LA Tech.
4.Neal Brown-Young coach with a great offensive mind. Would probably cost a lot but would produce an entertaining brand of football and could be the long-term answer.

Would stay away from Skip Holtz. He likes strange more than Freeze does, most likely.

Give Matt Luke a 2 year contract. It's a commitment to the current players on the roster and the ones being recruited. With Freeze leaving, hopefully the NCAA will finally be satisfied and come back with penalties close to what is being self imposed. As such, give Luke a damn chance to pull the program out of the mess. This is a really solid staff that I truly believe Luke can CEO. Hiring Charlie Strong is a fix for 3-4 years down the road. Same with any up-and-coming G5 coach. At least let Luke maneuver through the darkest hours and keep the team intact. If he struggles, don't renew his contract. If he succeeds extend Luke out to 4 yrs with a big raise. And anyone who mumbles Les Miles' name doesn't have enough sense to have an opinion worth sharing!

Would Fuentes even be a consideration.. Being at Memphis, he certainly knows the landscape and turned Memphis completely around in a hurry.. I think Va Tech's a good gig, but, in the long run, Ole Miss is the better job.. In my opinion, he'd be a home run hire.. Just thought it curious that no one is mentioning him..

If we were at ground zero with none of the Freeze baggage, I doubt we'd go seek out Luke. I'm feeling like we'll get him by the "last man standing" rule. Hopefully Archie will help again. I'm sure he's disappointed in Freeze but he shouldn't give up trying to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: reb859
Would Fuentes even be a consideration.. Being at Memphis, he certainly knows the landscape and turned Memphis completely around in a hurry.. I think Va Tech's a good gig, but, in the long run, Ole Miss is the better job.. In my opinion, he'd be a home run hire.. Just thought it curious that no one is mentioning him..

First, it's Fuente, not Fuentes. Second, keep dreaming. Fuente has a job that has been clean for 30 years, been to a bowl game every year since 1993, been to the Orange Bowl 5 times and the Sugar Bowl 4 times in the last 20 years, played for a National Title, and has actually made the conference championship game 6 times in 12 years. In what universe do rational people actually think that Ole Miss is a better job than VT?

By this time next year I will be receiving a buisness card that states... Peyton Manning: Head Coach, Ole Miss. Just a joke, but wouldn't that be crazy.

Reactions: Rebel Mic
After this last turn of events, I wouldn't rule out Hillary Clinton. At least the ncaa would back off in fear for life!

Give Matt Luke a 2 year contract. It's a commitment to the current players on the roster and the ones being recruited. With Freeze leaving, hopefully the NCAA will finally be satisfied and come back with penalties close to what is being self imposed. As such, give Luke a damn chance to pull the program out of the mess. This is a really solid staff that I truly believe Luke can CEO. Hiring Charlie Strong is a fix for 3-4 years down the road. Same with any up-and-coming G5 coach. At least let Luke maneuver through the darkest hours and keep the team intact. If he struggles, don't renew his contract. If he succeeds extend Luke out to 4 yrs with a big raise. And anyone who mumbles Les Miles' name doesn't have enough sense to have an opinion worth sharing!
Ummmmmmmm lmao

Phil Fulmer is almost 67 years old and would probably not be interested in becoming a coach again. Les Miles would be a good candidate for OM.

First, it's Fuente, not Fuentes. Second, keep dreaming. Fuente has a job that has been clean for 30 years, been to a bowl game every year since 1993, been to the Orange Bowl 5 times and the Sugar Bowl 4 times in the last 20 years, played for a National Title, and has actually made the conference championship game 6 times in 12 years. In what universe do rational people actually think that Ole Miss is a better job than VT?

Your post makes a good point. The last time OM won an SEC title, JFK was President.

Again, no coach will be hired until the sanctions are announced. And that's likely coming before the 2018 season at earliest.

Odds are you end up throwing the bank at Matt Luke and hoping he stays on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT