ADVERTISEMENT

hoops recuit fyi

zreb

All-Pro NFL
Feb 27, 2002
Ole Miss basketball signee Antavion Collum has Bartlett off to best start since 2012
Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 6:00 a.m. CT Jan. 9, 2019 | Updated 1:00 p.m. CT Jan. 9, 2019

Memphis signee DJ Jeffries scored 27 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in a 61-60 victory Khari Thompson, The Commercial Appeal

TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
With nearly everybody returning from a team that lost by two points to eventual Class AAA runner-up Whitehaven in the sectionals, Bartlett boys basketball coach Dion Real knew he would have a solid team.

And then, right before the school year started, the Panthers picked up a player who might vault them into the state tournament for the first time since they won it all in 2001.

Antavion Collum, a 6-7 forward and the No. 5 player in the state, according to the 247Sports composite, transferred from Tennessee Prep. The Ole Miss signee is leading the team in scoring at 13.7 points per game and also is averaging 7.1 rebounds and 2.1 steals.

The transition has been a smooth one for Collum, a senior who has helped lead the Panthers (16-2) to their best start since the 2011-12 season. He said it is because of his experience switching schools, his familiarity with Real and the overall team culture.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Memphis Hoopfest
Fullscreen

a225c296-61cc-4d09-9803-481f2a3c968a-9.jpg

Buy Photo

20 Photos
Memphis Hoopfest

Penny Hardaway in his sophomore year.

Collum said that he learned a lot from Hardaway while at East but felt that he wasn't getting enough playing time to showcase his improvement.

"So then I went to Tennessee Prep, where I put together everything I learned, played, I did what I needed to do to get the offers that I needed," said Collum.

Then, before the start of his senior season, he chose to leave Tennessee Prep, a non-TSSAA school, in favor of Bartlett. He said that he felt comfortable fitting in right away.

"Man, I was just used to it because I did it the past three years. I just come in and be myself," Collum said.

Collum was familiar with Real, who had coached his sister. Real has been impressed with Collum's ability to step in, find his role, and lead.

"He gets a lot of credit, which is well-deserved," said Real. "He’s still a kid so he still has his little bad days, but I’ve been impressed with his day-to-day leadership performance."

Why Antavion Collum picked Ole Miss
Collum said there wasn't a close second to Ole Miss in the recruiting process. He was thrilled with how the Rebels prioritized him.

The deal was sealed in Collum's mind following an in-home visit.

"The first day that the coaches could come out, they were the first people to come to my house," said Collum. "It was like Thanksgiving and my mom cooked and everything and all the coaches came and stayed in my house for a little minute and we just talked and kicked it like a family. It was a family atmosphere."

How far can Bartlett go in the playoffs?
Bartlett, which is leading its region, has yet to lose to a TSSAA school. The Panthers lost to Chattanooga's Hamilton Heights (which also beat Memphis East), and to Olive Branch in a game that Memphis signee DJ Jeffries took over with 27 points and 11 rebounds.

Collum has had some big moments himself, scoring 24 points against Ridgeway and Springdale Prep (Md.).

While Collum is the big name on the team, the Panthers have depth and flexibility on the offensive end. They have four players averaging more than 10 points per game in Collum (13.7), Wynne Brown (11.3), Takori Rooks (10.7), and Jefferson Walker (10.1).

"We have five guys out there who can score the ball," said Real. "So it's not like you’ve got to say, ‘I have to stop this one.’ You have to worry about all five of them.”

SUPPORT LOCAL JOURNALISM: Become a subscriber today
Subscribe here | Sign up for newsletters | Download app

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT