ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss must disassociate

zreb

All-Pro NFL
Feb 27, 2002
from Nike. We cannot be in business with a company like this. Here's what others are saying.

Hours after Nike unveiled a new ad featuring former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, country singer John Rich responded blasting the decision. Nashville Tennessean

TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
The American footwear company Nike made the disastrous decision to pay Colin Kaepernick millions of dollars a year to be a spokesperson for their "Just Do It" advertising campaign.

The company's new tagline for Kaepernick is: "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything."

By "sacrificing everything," evidently Nike means "make millions of dollars more a year to appear in an advertising campaign than you would make as a backup quarterback in the NFL." Boy, has Kaepernick ever sacrificed!

According to Yahoo Sports, he gets his own branded shoe line, shirts, jerseys and specific Kaepernick apparel. He will be paid a comparable amount to the best NFL players signed to Nike deals, millions a year.

Whereas in the past Nike signed and paid the best athletes in their sports — Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Andre Agassi, Bo Jackson, Serena Williams — now the company is signing a former athlete who is infamous for his politics.

In so doing Nike has made the decision to forswear athletic dominance and instead embrace politics as its new selling point. Nike, the same company dealing with a discrimination lawsuit, is now the latest company to get woke.

That's despite the fact that we've already seen that mixing politics and sports has had disastrous impacts for ESPN and NFL. Get woke and go broke, indeed. Now Nike wants a bite at the social justice warrior apple. Wall Street agrees this marketing decision is bad for business, as Nike's share took a dip in the stock market open this morning.

And to what end?

Does Nike really believe that every moment of every American's life must now be spent weighing politics? I don't want to enter a sports apparel store and have to pick a shoe brand for myself or my three young sons because of a company's politics. As a political moderate who voted for Gary Johnson in 2016, I don't want to have to place every company into Republican or Democratic buckets, and decide what to buy while analyzing these factors.

But that's what Nike's decision has forced me to do.

And as a result, I have bought my last Nike products for me and my boys.

Nike may not miss the several hundred dollars a year my family spends on athletic apparel and shoes — and they may even feel like they'll make it up off other more woke purchasers — but I'm not going to support a company putting millions of dollars into Colin Kaepernick's pockets. I'm not going to support a sports company that puts politics above sports.

More: Flag Day: Why Trump is flat wrong about our flag

You can say this is petty of me, but I believe the best way I — and any other consumer — can respond to corporate speech I disagree with is by not purchasing that company's products any longer. I'm not going to march in the streets, burn Nike apparel I already own or spend hours advocating on social media for others to join my decision, I'm just going to do something simple: buy other brands like UnderArmour, Reebok, Adidas for my boys and myself.

Evidently, I have an antiquated notion: I think every American company should try to serve every consumer regardless of that person's race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexuality or political persuasion.

What I love about sports is when your team scores you high five the fans around you rooting for the same team, regardless of what differences you might otherwise have outside the stadium or arena. Sports is a uniting force, not a divisive one — the place where all Americans come together on fields and courts united in equality. Sports represents the best of America, the ultimate meritocracy. The winner is the best man or woman, not the loudest protester.

As I write in my upcoming book, Michael Jordan was right when he reportedly said: "Republicans buy sneakers, too." Jordan understood it was his sporting excellence that united the country, not his opinion on Roe v. Wade, gay marriage or guns.

Once upon a time, Nike knew this too.

Now, unfortunately, Nike has made the decision that politics matters more than sports.

And in so doing, they have lost a long-time customer, a kid who used to save up all his money for the latest Air Jordans, potentially forever.

Clay Travis is a national morning host for Fox Sports Radio.

from Nike. We cannot be in business with a company like this. Here's what others are saying.

Hours after Nike unveiled a new ad featuring former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, country singer John Rich responded blasting the decision. Nashville Tennessean

The American footwear company Nike made the disastrous decision to pay Colin Kaepernick millions of dollars a year to be a spokesperson for their "Just Do It" advertising campaign.

The company's new tagline for Kaepernick is: "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything."

By "sacrificing everything," evidently Nike means "make millions of dollars more a year to appear in an advertising campaign than you would make as a backup quarterback in the NFL." Boy, has Kaepernick ever sacrificed!

According to Yahoo Sports, he gets his own branded shoe line, shirts, jerseys and specific Kaepernick apparel. He will be paid a comparable amount to the best NFL players signed to Nike deals, millions a year.

Whereas in the past Nike signed and paid the best athletes in their sports — Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Andre Agassi, Bo Jackson, Serena Williams — now the company is signing a former athlete who is infamous for his politics.

In so doing Nike has made the decision to forswear athletic dominance and instead embrace politics as its new selling point. Nike, the same company dealing with a discrimination lawsuit, is now the latest company to get woke.

That's despite the fact that we've already seen that mixing politics and sports has had disastrous impacts for ESPN and NFL. Get woke and go broke, indeed. Now Nike wants a bite at the social justice warrior apple. Wall Street agrees this marketing decision is bad for business, as Nike's share took a dip in the stock market open this morning.

And to what end?

Does Nike really believe that every moment of every American's life must now be spent weighing politics? I don't want to enter a sports apparel store and have to pick a shoe brand for myself or my three young sons because of a company's politics. As a political moderate who voted for Gary Johnson in 2016, I don't want to have to place every company into Republican or Democratic buckets, and decide what to buy while analyzing these factors.

Nike may not miss the several hundred dollars a year my family spends on athletic apparel and shoes — and they may even feel like they'll make it up off other more woke purchasers — but I'm not going to support a company putting millions of dollars into Colin Kaepernick's pockets. I'm not going to support a sports company that puts politics above sports.

You can say this is petty of me, but I believe the best way I — and any other consumer — can respond to corporate speech I disagree with is by not purchasing that company's products any longer. I'm not going to march in the streets, burn Nike apparel I already own or spend hours advocating on social media for others to join my decision, I'm just going to do something simple: buy other brands like UnderArmour, Reebok, Adidas for my boys and myself.

Evidently, I have an antiquated notion: I think every American company should try to serve every consumer regardless of that person's race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexuality or political persuasion.

What I love about sports is when your team scores you high five the fans around you rooting for the same team, regardless of what differences you might otherwise have outside the stadium or arena. Sports is a uniting force, not a divisive one — the place where all Americans come together on fields and courts united in equality. Sports represents the best of America, the ultimate meritocracy. The winner is the best man or woman, not the loudest protester.

As I write in my upcoming book, Michael Jordan was right when he reportedly said: "Republicans buy sneakers, too." Jordan understood it was his sporting excellence that united the country, not his opinion on Roe v. Wade, gay marriage or guns.

Now, unfortunately, Nike has made the decision that politics matters more than sports.

And in so doing, they have lost a long-time customer, a kid who used to save up all his money for the latest Air Jordans, potentially forever.

Yeah good luck with that lol

Reactions: msdeltareb
given the poor financial condition of the athletic department.....they can not afford to pass up one nickel that nike may give them

and bjork and vitter probably support nike anyway

given the poor financial condition of the athletic department.....they can not afford to pass up one nickel that nike may give them

and bjork and vitter probably support nike anyway
Nike isn't the only one in that game. I didn't think the University placed a dollar sign on doing what is right. I don't know of anyone who will go to Rebel Rags and say "I want some Ole Miss sweatshirt with Nike on it". Some will I suppose. I thought when we got rid of the the flag and Dixie because of hurtful feelings of those whose were in slavery 200 years ago it would be like disrespecting our families past who served and died for America. It is hurtful to those of us in that group. Maybe our hurt doesn't matter. To have Ole Miss support and market for profit with those will lose support. Write it down.

I wont challenge your points......but I would think they have a contract with nike that they just can't walk away from...would have to wait for that contract to expire

and again, bjork and vitter are flaming liberals...they probably support nike

if you are that unhappy with the university, do what so many others have done....withhold donations, don't go to games

I have reduced my donations substantially. I did keep my tickets, because I want to go back when bjork is gone........hopefully soon

I welcome your challenge!
1. Contrats are broken all the time especially if one has done something detrimental to the image of an institution such as our. case in Point CHF.
2. It really isn't about liberal or conservative. I believe it's fairness, compassion, respect towards others, and not being hypocritical. We are definitely hypocritical as the University denounced Col Rebel BUT retains all rights ($) to him.
3. I do not donate however I do have an amount going to the U at my death. (maybe)
4. I support my team and I love to go to games and see on tv. I'm not about to forgo that, however, I will never buy anything with the ck mark of Nike on it. I'm betting sales are going to feel it.I am having some t shirts printed with their logo with caption. JUST DON'T DO IT. It will give me some degree of satisfaction.

I surely respect your views.

One thing we can agree on.....

O M is a National Champion in hypocrisy.

I welcome your challenge!
1. Contrats are broken all the time especially if one has done something detrimental to the image of an institution such as our. case in Point CHF.
2. It really isn't about liberal or conservative. I believe it's fairness, compassion, respect towards others, and not being hypocritical. We are definitely hypocritical as the University denounced Col Rebel BUT retains all rights ($) to him.
3. I do not donate however I do have an amount going to the U at my death. (maybe)
4. I support my team and I love to go to games and see on tv. I'm not about to forgo that, however, I will never buy anything with the ck mark of Nike on it. I'm betting sales are going to feel it.I am having some t shirts printed with their logo with caption. JUST DON'T DO IT. It will give me some degree of satisfaction.
The part that you don't understand is that first our University would have to believe that Nike having him as a spokesperson is wrong. They more than likely see no issue with it.

The part that you don't understand is that first our University would have to believe that Nike having him as a spokesperson is wrong. They more than likely see no issue with it.
I don't take issue with him. He has his right to feel the way he wants. The University would be taking issue with Nike (that's who they have a contract with). In any event, we all get our opinions and Ole miss doesn't endorse me or my opinion and we have no financial arrangement. However with Nike , they do.

Actually I expect a bigger hoorah with the NFL who has ties to Nike and is already taking heat on the issue. They have tons to lose and "good ol boys" support the NFL, for now. The NCAA should, if they were a respected organization, do it for all schools and that would allow contracts to be cancelled with out fear of reprisal, however, any reprisers are going to be looking very small in the eyes of America.

Last edited:

First, I think you are right.

Second, their attitudes and decisions are why the fan base and donations are dwindling.

But at least bjork and Vitter get to go to cocktail parties with their liberal friends and brag about how “progressive “ they are.

And to what end?

It is the morally correct thing to do

It is for us IF we want to be consistent too with past decisions and SOME things come before $$$$$. Otherwise, hypocritical money mongers.

I purchased another pair of Nike’s last night on Amazon. Needed some good rowing shoes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT