ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss....

pratt12200

Five-Star Prospect
Jan 28, 2009
Is meeting with Les Miles this morning. Not sure how I feel about it. He is a good coach but his way of running offense needs players we don't have. If he keeps the spread it could be good.

Are you at liberty to reveal your source please?

My first reaction is what is the hurry? Kind of reminds me of the Nutt hiring.

Is meeting with Les Miles this morning. Not sure how I feel about it. He is a good coach but his way of running offense needs players we don't have. If he keeps the spread it could be good.
I'm a big fan of Les Miles as a man, he's the real deal when it comes to character, family and doing things the right way - even if its not always in his short-term interests. This is a man who booted his starting QB off the team right before the season began and, on another occasion, booted a Heisman trophy front-runner and All-American under the same circumstances. In both cases, those decisions were credited for costing him at least 3 wins the following year and in both cases the kids hadn't even been arrested for anything. Also in both cases, the kids credit Miles 'tough love' and continued efforts on their behalf even after they left with basically saving their lives/careers and since have had nothing but glowing things to say about Miles or LSU despite the way their time ended.

If he's learned a lesson regarding running his offense/allowing his coaches to run their offense from his time - and particularly his end - at LSU, his one glaring weakness would be mitigated. I haven't seen anything that would suggest to me that that's' the case, though. FWIW, LSU fans have been incredibly (and unfairly IMO) harsh in their treatment of Les over the years. The guy was literally the most successful coach we've ever had and, whatever his flaws, if not for the rise of Nick Saban right down the street at pretty much the exact same time, would likely have been the most celebrated HC in the country for a while. He overcame tremendous bad luck and adversity while at LSU starting right out of the gate with Katrina kitting pretty much right before he ever coached a game for us. He prepped that team while they were housing a dozen family members or more in their dorms and the campus was being used as a mass triage site an morgue for New Orleans - and that team went on a 34-6 record over the next three years and won a national title. He was also more successful at Oklahoma State than even Jimmy Johnson was.

If you guys want someone who is going to allow you to compete regularly for an SEC and possibly a national title, Miles - just like anyone else you could possibly get - won't get the job done. If you want someone who is going to run a clean, respectable program, look out for the young men under his charge first and foremost and win a solid 8 games a year while playing in the nightmarish SECW, I don't think you could possibly do better.

Remember, the worst has not yet come for Ole Miss, and if you can lock up a national championship-winning coach who puts character first (as opposed to claiming to) then you had better do it quickly and give him anything he wants. Six months from now, things won't look near as rosy.

Last edited:
We need a coach NOW and I don't have anything against Miles as far as his integrity goes. I can live with 9-3 pretty much. We can't wait for the ncaa and whoever we get it needs to be now. Next thing you know we'll be losing our assts.

I'm a big fan of Les Miles as a man, he's the real deal when it comes to character, family and doing things the right way - even if its not always in his short-term interests. This is a man who booted his starting QB off the team right before the season began and, on another occasion, booted a Heisman trophy front-runner and All-American under the same circumstances. In both cases, those decisions were credited for costing him at least 3 wins the following year and in both cases the kids hadn't even been arrested for anything. Also in both cases, the kids credit Miles 'tough love' and continued efforts on their behalf even after they left with basically saving their lives/careers and since have had nothing but glowing things to say about Miles or LSU despite the way their time ended.

If he's learned a lesson regarding running his offense/allowing his coaches to run their offense from his time - and particularly his end - at LSU, his one glaring weakness would be mitigated. I haven't seen anything that would suggest to me that that's' the case, though. FWIW, LSU fans have been incredibly (and unfairly IMO) harsh in their treatment of Les over the years. The guy was literally the most successful coach we've ever had and, whatever his flaws, if not for the rise of Nick Saban right down the street at pretty much the exact same time, would likely have been the most celebrated HC in the country for a while. He overcame tremendous bad luck and adversity while at LSU starting right out of the gate with Katrina kitting pretty much right before he ever coached a game for us. He prepped that team while they were housing a dozen family members or more in their dorms and the campus was being used as a mass triage site an morgue for New Orleans - and that team went on a 34-6 record over the next three years and won a national title. He was also more successful at Oklahoma State than even Jimmy Johnson was.

If you guys want someone who is going to allow you to compete regularly for an SEC and possibly a national title, Miles - just like anyone else you could possibly get - won't get the job done. If you want someone who is going to run a clean, respectable program, look out for the young men under his charge first and foremost and win a solid 8 games a year while playing in the nightmarish SECW, I don't think you could possibly do better.

Remember, the worst has not yet come for Ole Miss, and if you can lock up a national championship-winning coach who puts character first (as opposed to claiming to) then you had better do it quickly and give him anything he wants. Six months from now, things won't look near as rosy.
OM doesn't have a federal judge like you do to ward off the ncaa.

If that's the response that post garners, then you deserve everything you're going to get.

That's the response any post from a corndog warrants. Most won't even read your opinion because we don't care. Hell you are talking about Miles not competing or winning yet you just hired Da Coach O lol

Reactions: Drussell1980
That's the response any post from a corndog warrants. Most won't even read your opinion because we don't care. Hell you are talking about Miles not competing or winning yet you just hired Da Coach O lol
I suppose that's about what I should expect... and yet you wonder why everyone seems to be taking pleasure in your fall. When you behave like this, with the name-calling and the personal attacks, what else do you think will happen?

I think you'll find that CEO is much more successful at LSU than he was at OM, just as you'll find that Miles is less successful at OM than he was at LSU. There's only so much a coach can do, after all. As a low population state that shares its talent base with two other in-state schools and plays in the middle of the SEC West, realistic expectations are OM fans' best friend. Here is something to ponder - how many different coaches have you had since 1963, and what did they all end up having in common?

I have always liked Miles, and if we were in the same situation as L.S.U. (the only major power in a state loaded with talent), I would like him as HC. Because of reasons you have pointed out, OM must recruit regionally, and run a Read-Option offense that favors pass over run to be competitive in SEC-W. Miles doesn't have either of those critical (for us) items on his resume, then add his age to the equation, it doesn't appear to be a match. Don't blame him at all for throwing hat into ring with our budget, but we have been burned before with former HC's retiring on the job, therefore, young and hungry trumps experience IMHO. I'm pulling for Luke!!!

I suppose that's about what I should expect... and yet you wonder why everyone seems to be taking pleasure in your fall. When you behave like this, with the name-calling and the personal attacks, what else do you think will happen?

I think you'll find that CEO is much more successful at LSU than he was at OM, just as you'll find that Miles is less successful at OM than he was at LSU. There's only so much a coach can do, after all. As a low population state that shares its talent base with two other in-state schools and plays in the middle of the SEC West, realistic expectations are OM fans' best friend. Here is something to ponder - how many different coaches have you had since 1963, and what did they all end up having in common?

You can eat a fat D. I have lived around your retarded bastards for 7 years. You have no room to talk. If you guys think Ogre is going to win a NC for you then you are mistaken. LSU only has NC's in the past 60 years because of Nick Saban or his recruits. You poor unfortunate bastards think you should win every year and legitimately have about as much a chance as we do. Oh great you win 10 or 11 games a year what does it get you other than saying you almost won it all?

Wiggz, your subtle digs suck as bad as you do. Go play in the swamp.

We have a coach. Matt Luke.... Let the man do his thing.... see where this goes... take the interim off the title... he is a die hard rebel and bleeds red and blue.... hotty toddy forever

We have a coach. Matt Luke.... Let the man do his thing.... see where this goes... take the interim off the title... he is a die hard rebel and bleeds red and blue.... hotty toddy forever
You are probably a die hard Ole Miss fan too but doesn't mean you are a good choice as head coach. If he coaches the team as well as he's coached the o-line the past few years we are screwed.

You are probably a die hard Ole Miss fan too but doesn't mean you are a good choice as head coach. If he coaches the team as well as he's coached the o-line the past few years we are screwed.
I hear ya, but Freeze had decided to back off and leave the coaching to assistants and to be involved mainly in helping develop the game plan. All good leaders hire good personnel, then do not micro manage their work. Hopefully, Luke learned from those meetings and also learned from other coaches he worked under (Tuberville, Fulmer, Cutcliffe. I like the staff in place, and feel that Luke gives the best chance to keep them together. The "interim" period will be a good test!
P.S. Test results of a new staff should be measured by week-to-week improvement. We are still a young team with no depth on defense (still don't understand how that is possible after five years).

I hear ya, but Freeze had decided to back off and leave the coaching to assistants and to be involved mainly in helping develop the game plan. All good leaders hire good personnel, then do not micro manage their work. Hopefully, Luke learned from those meetings and also learned from other coaches he worked under (Tuberville, Fulmer, Cutcliffe. I like the staff in place, and feel that Luke gives the best chance to keep them together. The "interim" period will be a good test!
P.S. Test results of a new staff should be measured by week-to-week improvement. We are still a young team with no depth on defense (still don't understand how that is possible after five years).
Oh I agree. Like i said above if he lets Longo run the O and Mcgriff run the D we will be ok.

Wiggz, your subtle digs suck as bad as you do. Go play in the swamp.
When was I being subtle? I may not feel the need to use obscenity or call people names, but that doesnt make me subtle, just tasteful.

Last edited:
Less Miles has been good for college football because he is entertaining and isn't one of the guys who jumps on every new trend that comes alone, he is an old OL who wants to run the ball and play defense. But as the new coach for OM, I think it would be a disaster, OM wasn't built to play Les's style of offense. You can't dictate who a head coach hires as his assistants and coordinators, next step is calling down and telling him who to put in or which play to run. With the likely restrictions on the way it would take Miles years to get OM competitive again. If there are sanctions/penalties on the way, OM should wait until they are handed down hire a caretaker type coach who will not get OM in any trouble and separate themself from anyone associated with Freeze. Keeping someone with connections to Freeze will keep the NCAA's eye in Oxford. I know the fanbase likes Luke, but its a risky move keeping a Freeze guy in charge.

If there are sanctions/penalties on the way, OM should wait until they are handed down hire a caretaker type coach who will not get OM in any trouble and separate themself from anyone associated with Freeze.
Call me crazy, but this sounds like Miles to me... the guy isn't a young man, he wouldn't be there for very long, likely not too much longer than the penalties will run (could be 4-5 years of scholarship restrictions, though the effects will obviously be longer-lasting).

I hear ya, but Freeze had decided to back off and leave the coaching to assistants and to be involved mainly in helping develop the game plan. All good leaders hire good personnel, then do not micro manage their work.
This is word-for-word what Orgeron has been saying since he was hired, its what he said was the most important thing that he learned from his time at Ole Miss... with that mindset, I really like Canada and Aranda as our coordinators - the question will be how long we can hold on to them before they get HC gigs.

Ole Miss won't hire a new coach till the sanctions are known, and that will be a while.

90% chance Matt Luke gets hired permanent.

HaHahhahahA
This coming from an LSU FAN is absolutely ridiculous! U have 50,000 fans outside ur stadium (most of who have never been inside) every game harassing and fighting opposing fans! I know a woman who was walking in 4 months pregnant that claims one of ur crazy fans took her OleMiss flag broke it and stabbed her with it in the 80s! Get out of here with that crap!

HaHahhahahA
This coming from an LSU FAN is absolutely ridiculous! U have 50,000 fans outside ur stadium (most of who have never been inside) every game harassing and fighting opposing fans! I know a woman who was walking in 4 months pregnant that claims one of ur crazy fans took her OleMiss flag broke it and stabbed her with it in the 80s! Get out of here with that crap!
LOL

Wow, just... wow.

Okay, let me get this straight, you're attempting to justify obscene language, personal attacks and obnoxious behavior here on this board because of - seriously - something completely unlikely that a person you know claims to have happened 30+ years ago?

No, I think maybe its you who need to 'get out of here with that crap'. We're talking about the way Ole Miss fans are lashing out at anyone and everyone who visits their board because they've been so consistently wrong about what was actually going on in Oxford that now they don't know what to do act like seven year-olds... but hey, more power to you. You're not hurting MY school by acting like that.

LOL

Wow, just... wow.

Okay, let me get this straight, you're attempting to justify obscene language, personal attacks and obnoxious behavior here on this board because of - seriously - something completely unlikely that a person you know claims to have happened 30+ years ago?

No, I think maybe its you who need to 'get out of here with that crap'. We're talking about the way Ole Miss fans are lashing out at anyone and everyone who visits their board because they've been so consistently wrong about what was actually going on in Oxford that now they don't know what to do act like seven year-olds... but hey, more power to you. You're not hurting MY school by acting like that.
I lack the interest in this subject for a long discussion, so I will simply say.....

We have visited every stadium in the conference. L S U is the only place we won't go back to.

I lack the interest in this subject for a long discussion, so I will simply say.....

We have visited every stadium in the conference. L S U is the only place we won't go back to.
Fair enough.

In the interest of brevity, I will say that I'm absolutely certain there are fans at every school who feel that way about every other school due their individual experiences... none should be considered the ones who speak for the entire fanbase nor should any of their experiences (or, more often, what they claim their experiences were) be considered the defining standard for any school's gameday experience.

The one universal constant that seems to apply everywhere is that visiting fans tend to get back what they bring with them. I've enjoyed gameday at LSU with fans from literally every other SEC school and several dozen more besides. They all had one thing in common - they were respectful.

Fair enough.

In the interest of brevity, I will say that I'm absolutely certain there are fans at every school who feel that way about every other school due their individual experiences... none should be considered the ones who speak for the entire fanbase nor should any of their experiences (or, more often, what they claim their experiences were) be considered the defining standard for any school's gameday experience.

The one universal constant that seems to apply everywhere is that visiting fans tend to get back what they bring with them. I've enjoyed gameday at LSU with fans from literally every other SEC school and several dozen more besides. They all had one thing in common - they were respectful.
Well I can assure you my family was respectful, yet we were harassed entering the stadium, and as our seats were field level in the end zone, we had trash thrown at us. Now, popcorn cups are one thing, whiskey bottles that can seriously injure someone is something else.

Like I said, we won't go back.

Well I can assure you my family was respectful, yet we were harassed entering the stadium, and as our seats were field level in the end zone, we had trash thrown at us. Now, popcorn cups are one thing, whiskey bottles that can seriously injure someone is something else.

Like I said, we won't go back.
The corn dogs are the sorriest fans in the country.

I will not pay them the respect of calling them "fans".

I do not like to engage in name calling, so I will let others judge the behavior and insert their own description here...........

ADVERTISEMENT