ADVERTISEMENT

Wasn't Billy Brewer responsible

I am suffering from years as well, but remember Vaught’s teams of late ‘50’s and 60’s (which Brewer played) wearing light blue helmets. The first Navy Blue was 1974-75 with Col Reb on side rather than numbers.

Last edited:
Powder blue helmets were worn in the glory years of the Vaught era. Brewer brought them back circa 1983. Tuberville changed them back to Navy in 1995.

I think about Billy when I see the powder blues. He did a lot of things to motivate the players. That was probably his strongest quality as a head coach. His players loved him. Couldn't recruit like we can these days. Facilities were certainly lacking back then and support from the administration was spotty at best. His teams always had the us against the world attitude and was able to win games with make do talent. You always felt like you had a sluggers chance back then. Before him I went to a bunch of games knowing we were toast long before kickoff.

With NCAA trouble on the horizon we had no chance of getting Peyton. That and Cooper not being able to play. History seems to repeat itself a lot at Ole Miss. One step forward and two steps back. The faces change but the same beat goes on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT