ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: Weekend Chiks, presented by Oxford Krystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell Johnson

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
May 19, 2016
The date is January 7th. National Signing Day (2.0) is less than a calendar month away, and there are still several questions for Ole Miss as that date approaches.

What is going to happen with Jerrion Ealy? Will it matter come June?

How much will outside influences impact the recruitment of Jonathan Mingo?

What's the plan at LB? DL? Room for another DB?

Those questions will be answered, as well as who are the top priorities, and more.

Make no mistake, the class of 2019 is still imperative for Ole Miss. Matt Luke will be judged when he speaks on that Wednesday afternoon at the Manning Center. Not based on what he says, who he highlights as impact signees, or anything like that. All that will matter is where the class stacks up compared to the rest of the SEC, and the country as a whole. Can the Rebels hold off Mississippi State? Can they pass South Carolina and maybe even Auburn?

I get the feeling, though, from talking to people around recruiting circles, that Ole Miss is about to use this evaluation period for more than just closing on 2019 targets, but to eye-ball 2020 targets, and even offer some as well.

Ealy is scheduled to visit Clemson this weekend. One would guess that he is watching their game tonight rather closely, especially with Dabo's well-known policy that he does not allow prospects to officially visit that are committed to other schools.

As of this morning, Ealy is still committed to Ole Miss. He's also in-line for a pretty significant ratings bump after a solid week in Orlando.

With the coaches all being in San Antonio for the convention currently, I don't expect much recruiting news between now and Wednesday, but it would not shock me in the least to see a couple of offers go out, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.