ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday gave me flashbacks of 2009, but not in the way you would think.

OxonianReb

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
We weren't ready for that spot in 2009. We didn't have the roster. We have the roster this year and lost to an inferior opponent.

But what I noticed yesterday from Dart is what I noticed from Jevan Snead (RIP) in 2009.

The first possession, Dart was on his scripted drive and was going through progressions very well. Several times he looked at 1, 2, 3 and then made a decision. I get part of that is given time. But, he was dialed in. From there, Dart was pretty much a one-read QB. In RPO, it was either handoff, or throw to Tre. In 2009, Snead was very much concentrated on Shay Hodge.

I'm really confused on the gameplan past the script. There was no complexity or creativity. We either went deep or threw to Tre at the line of scrimmage, for the most part. Very little underneath concepts despite the fact that Kentucky kept playing deep. The play action concepts were basic. No fake toss wheel routes like we saw in the Peach with Preiskorn. It's really headscratching to be honest.

My son is 8, and he got his first real taste of being an Ole Miss fan yesterday. When we got in the car, he said, "I've got a million questions for Lane Kiffin after that." He had led a pretty soft fandom prior to yesterday.

The most anticipated season in either of our lifetimes just got (at least) partially spoiled. Now, there's no room for error. Going 2-0 over the next two weeks is now required, and that won't be an easy task. LSU is looking more locked in. South Carolina presents the same issues we saw from Kentucky. But, if we do get past those two, the rest of the schedule is manageable and the Oklahoma game will become monumental for any playoff hope.

We'll see how this team gets off the mat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.