ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: 10 Observations from Ole Miss 71, Arkansas State 43

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
OXFORD — Devontae Shuler scored 20 points and KJ Buffen added 16 as Ole Miss won its season opener Friday, defeating Arkansas State, 71-43.

Ole Miss (1-0) held Arkansas State (1-1) to 32.6 percent shooting from the floor and 31.6 percent from the 3-point line. The Rebels, meanwhile shot 44.6 percent from the field and out-rebounded the Red Wolves, 40-28.

Ten Rebels scored and nine played at least 12 minutes Friday. No Rebel played more than Shuler’s 28 minutes.

J.J. Matthews and Canberk Kus led Arkansas State with 10 points each,

Ole Miss led, 39-19, at halftime.

Here are 10 observations from the Rebels’ win over the Red Wolves:

1. It took Kermit Davis 43 seconds to call his first timeout of the season. Ole Miss won the opening tip but saw its offense bog down under the face of perimeter pressure from Arkansas State. Shuler ultimately turned the ball over at the shot clock. The Red Wolves answered with an easy 3-pointer on the other end, aided by Breein Tyree trying to go under a screen.

2. Ole Miss responded with a 13-1 run, forcing an Arkansas State timeout with 15:34 left in the first half. Consecutive 3-pointers from Shuler and Austin Crowley capped the run, one that was spurred on by strong interior defense, rebounding, transition and ball movement. As angry as the first minute made Davis, he had to be pretty pleased with the way his team answered the 30-second tongue-lashing.

3. I absolutely love Crowley’s game. I mean, I’m enamored. He’s such a smart player. He understands spacing, knows how to get open, anticipates the next pass, has a knack on the defensive end to be in the right place, uses his length and athleticism very well. He’ll defer to his older teammates a good bit this year, I suspect, but he’s going to be a very good player in the SEC over the next few years. Crowley had six points, two rebounds and an assist in 10 minutes Friday.

4. This team is just so much more athletic than the Rebels of a year ago. Khadim Sy and Sammy Hunter just give the Rebels more quick-twitch fibers down low. Luis Rodriguez is springy and can do things on the glass. Bryce Williams got caught watching on the defensive end a couple of times in his first Division I game, but his quickness is going to be a problem for opposing guards this season. Hunter, by the way, appears to be an adept passer from the high post. In short, Ole Miss is just going to be so much more versatile on the offensive end. It’s difficult to articulate the difference from a year ago, when the offense could just get so dependent on the perimeter game.

5. It’s obviously very early in the season, but if I could provide some advice to Rodriguez, it would be this: Davis wants you to play defense and rebound. You would be advised to shoot sparingly. That’s probably not your role. Know your role or that tail-chewing you received late in the first half will become far more common than you’d like. Rebound. Guard. Help. Facilitate. Rebound some more. You’re welcome. Rodriguez finished with five points and six rebounds in 25 minutes Friday, shooting 2-for-8 from the floor and 0-for-3 from the 3-point line.

6. It’s a good sign for Ole Miss that the Rebels dominated on a night when Tyree was quiet on the offensive end. Obviously for this team to maximize its potential, Tyree has to score at an elite level, but realistically, he’ll have nights when his shot doesn’t fall. Friday night proved Ole Miss isn’t completely dependent on Tyree’s offense to win. Tyree had six points on 2-for-9 shooting Friday.

7. One of the reasons Tyree’s offensive struggles weren’t a big deal Friday was Shuler’s play. Many, self included, really expect Shuler to have a breakout season in his second full campaign as a point guard. Shuler is so much more composed as a passer this season, so much more confident in his role in the offense. He’s always been an excellent on-ball defender, and his progress as a floor leader is obvious through one exhibition game and Friday’s opener. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t have a big year.

8. KJ Buffen once again played like a veteran. The sophomore forward is clearly going to be counted on heavily this season, and through the first week of the season, it appears he’s up to the task. He’s an excellent on-ball defender, and his improved physicality has made him more adept at getting to the rim on offense and impacting the glass on the defensive end.

9. Ole Miss committed 20 turnovers in its exhibition win over Mississippi College on Monday. Four days later, after a week in which taking care of the basketball was a huge area of emphasis, Ole Miss committed 16 turnovers against Arkansas State. It’s too early to get overly concerned, but it’s imperative that the Rebels clean that up in the next few weeks.

10. Ole Miss returns to action Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. with another home game against Norfolk State. It’s the second of four straight home games before the Rebels head to Memphis for a Nov. 23 showdown with (Memphis booster?) Penny Hardaway, potential high-lottery pick James Wiseman (maybe) and the Tigers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News