ADVERTISEMENT

A few baseball opening practice notes

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Ole Miss opens practice today at 2:30. It was supposed to be a scrimmage, but with the weather, I'm not sure that'll happen. They are scrimmaging tomorrow at 11:30 and tentatively at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Here a few quick notes:

Senquez Golson has been with the team since Monday and basically has three weeks to make the 35-man roster. Early returns have been promising, but I think it's fair to say he has his work cut out for him. Since he's a football guy too, he has to leave no doubt that he's able to contribute this season. Outfield is fairly deep, so it'll be harder this year than it was two years ago. I'll keep you updated. He's a hell of an athlete, so it gives him a chance.

The roster is currently at 37 players. They have to get to 35 by the week of the first game. Justin Kemp is no longer on the roster, and Reed Evans is redshirting and doing the developmental roster thing.

Only injury of note as practice begins is John Gatlin isn't 100 percent from offseason surgery.

Position wise, the team is better, deeper and should be more efficient throughout the order. The question is the rotation. I still remain it'll be Ellis, Trent and Smith with Buchanan and Tarkington on the back end of the bullpen. I love Jacob Waguespack's competitiveness, as well, so let's see where he is from the bone spur thing from last season.

My preseason lineup guess:
C - Allen
1B - Orvis
2B - Overbey
3B - Anderson
SS - Robinson
LF - Lee
CF - Bousfield
RF- Woodman
DH - Bortles

Jamison could also play right, but I made myself pick just one at each spot.

Remember Brady Bramlett is out this season with the labrum injury from last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News