ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: A little from yesterday's "scrimmage"

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
-- I am told Jaxson Dart started and took most all of the No. 1 reps. My source said Dart will be the starter this season. He was pretty emphatic about it.
-- Fraser Masin is "fine" and will be punting. It sounds like Charlie Pollock might have let his 15 minutes of fame get away without cashing in. I was told Pollock did not punt well Saturday.
-- The "scrimmage" was the 1s and 2s versus the scout team, basically. Lane Kiffin said Friday "stats" would be meaningless. To that end, several turnovers for touchdowns for the defense basically didn't count as Ole Miss' coaches were working from a script of sorts.
-- Last year, the scout team didn't score in this scrimmage. This year, it did, I'm told. What was implied is Ole Miss' linebackers missed some tackles. I was told the defensive line and the defensive backs generally played well.
-- JJ Pegues was disruptive Saturday, I was told. Tavius Robinson was disruptive as well. A criticism of Robinson in the past is he was stiff at times and therefore, easy to block. My source felt Robinson looked much improved in that area Saturday.
-- Jaylon Robinson, who has been nursing an injury this preseason, played. However, redshirt freshman JJ Henry, who has been one of the emerging stars of August, started.
-- Jayden Williams started at left tackle, with Jeremy James starting at right tackle. Mason Brooks came in at right guard at times.
-- Tight end Michael Trigg Jr. made several big plays. However, on one occasion, Trigg lined up incorrectly and got pulled in favor of Casey Kelly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News