ADVERTISEMENT

A story to keep an eye on

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
Earlier today, the FBI raided a business in Columbus, Miss. Per a source with knowledge of the investigation, Jabari Edwards was one of the people arrested during that court-ordered raid. Edwards is one of the CEO of J5 Caffe',
You may have heard of J5 Caffe', as it was in the NIL news recently. From the Clarion-Ledger:
Jackson State football signee Travis Hunter, the No. 1 college football prospect in the nation, has signed an NIL deal with J5 Caffe, the Black-owned coffee company that announced the agreement Wednesday.
"Hunter set the sports world ablaze when he chose to play for (Deion Sanders) and JSU," the Columbus, Mississippi-based company said in a news release. "He possesses unique skills and a mindset that will allow him to be a phenomenal two-way threat for JSU. His uniqueness complements the uniqueness of J5 Caffe and they will both change the game."
Hunter, a five-star cornerback, is the highest-rated recruit to sign with an HBCU after picking JSU over Florida State, where he was committed for nearly two years. Hunter wrote in his commitment letter on signing day that he wanted to blaze a new trail for top athletes to consider attending HBCUs.

Travis Hunter (left) stands with J5 Caffe owner Jabari Edwards (right

"J5 Caffe's partnership with Hunter was paramount because both express the mission of making a difference in HBCU colleges," the company said. "But more importantly the Black community. J5 Caffe, is one of many companies owned by parent company, J5 Solutions. Like Hunter, J5 Solutions is dedicated to raising awareness and the importance of supporting HBCUs across the nation."

Anyway, I'm still waiting to get my hands on the actual charges, but let's just say for now that this is about money and the feds clearly believe some of the business' funds are fraudulent.

Also, it's been widely speculated that Hunter has an NIL deal with Barstool Sports. I'm told by people at Barstool that is incorrect.

This story won't end here. I don't mean that to be cryptic, but I believe there are going to be ramifications from today's arrests.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News