ADVERTISEMENT

All of you...

camlock4

SEC Champion
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2003
that seem so set on making The University of Mississippi a new place so universally appealing to everyone, those that think forgetting our "outdated" traditions and symbols are what will get our athletic teams over the top...get F'ing real...we will be the biggest laughing stock of the SEC, and likely Div 1 athletics for the reasoning behind all this, but hey, Jesse Jackson in all his power and standing in American society might become a loyalty foundation member? LMAO...minority athletes that have a problem with "OLE MISS" will still not come to the small town MISSISSIPPI university with a perceived racial past whether we are the rebels, squirrels, or the turds! And in reality, those atheletes would still go to a school in a more populated and appealing geographical area with more to offer. We are who we are, and unless yall wanna change the state we reside in and throw up a large metropolitan area around our campus the invites more population in general, the recruiting ain't gonna change...you really think every stupid false perception of The University of Mississippi is going to just go away if we attempt to tell the world we are now the fighting catfish with a horse for a mascot? WOW...Barrack Obama was a good choice too huh?

Originally posted by camlock4:
that seem so set on making The University of Mississippi a new place so universally appealing to everyone, those that think forgetting our "outdated" traditions and symbols are what will get our athletic teams over the top...get F'ing real...we will be the biggest laughing stock of the SEC, and likely Div 1 athletics for the reasoning behind all this, but hey, Jesse Jackson in all his power and standing in American society might become a loyalty foundation member? LMAO...minority athletes that have a problem with "OLE MISS" will still not come to the small town MISSISSIPPI university with a perceived racial past whether we are the rebels, squirrels, or the turds! And in reality, those atheletes would still go to a school in a more populated and appealing geographical area with more to offer. We are who we are, and unless yall wanna change the state we reside in and throw up a large metropolitan area around our campus the invites more population in general, the recruiting ain't gonna change...you really think every stupid false perception of The University of Mississippi is going to just go away if we attempt to tell the world we are now the fighting catfish with a horse for a mascot? WOW...Barrack Obama was a good choice too huh?

QFT

You're misunderstanding

Originally posted by camlock4:

No one is saying that any one symbol change is going to win an SEC championship for Ole Miss.

What people are saying is that revising our image will make it EASIER to win championships.

Even if it could be proven that changing mascots would have no effect at all on our sports, it would still be the right thing to do. Ole Miss is a public university that purports to be the flagship of a state that's almost 40 percent black. In addition to being smart, helping them feel comfortable with Ole Miss is the morally right.

And, if you really think that being in a small Southern town is the primary reason why it's historically been tough to recruit black athletes to Ole Miss, you'll need to explain why it hasn't been similarly difficult to attract them to Auburn, Alabama.
This post was edited on 2/22 7:41 PM by Cortez the Killer

Sorry Rebel brother.......can't agree with you. Ole Miss has availed itself to many of us outside of MS and we feel we bring much too. It should not be an insular community any longer......all of us change......the country and our world evolve......as should your Ole Miss

No antagonism.......just a different view.

well, we'll see if he was a good choice. he was certainly the only logical choice. you've already made your mind up a year in (although i'd suspect it was made up long Before the election.) fundamentalist politics at it's best. the racial past with ole miss is there friend. you don't have to perceive the tanks or the national guard. it actually happened!! to suggest that there is no point in changing is ignorant. i just don't get your scenario: so a minority athlete who doesn't want to go to a small town school with a history of race issues wants to go to a more populated area? do you think that Maybe there are some who might just want to go to another small town school???? the value in The University of Mississippi is precisely its ability to change......even if it Does take tanks.

Re: You're misunderstanding

"it would still be the right thing to do. Ole Miss is a public university that purports to be the flagship of a state that's almost 40 percent black. In addition to being smart, helping them feel comfortable with Ole Miss is the morally right. "

wouldn't it be the right thing to do to educate those not knowledgeable about Ole Miss, about their misconceptions rather than just accepting them , allowing them to continue in their ignorance, and changing our identities to suit the misinformed

this is an excesise in futility...

cause things are gonna change. i dont necessarily like it either but you cant stop whats coming and we have to move on.
and our racial past is reality , not percieved .

Re: this is an excesise in futility...

the perception is that Col. Rebel has anything to do with that past racial problems, I don't see the connection. I do agree that it will be changed like it or not and Rebels and Ole Miss will go as well.

This post was edited on 2/22 7:57 PM by fingokra
This post was edited on 2/22 8:00 PM by fingokra

You are right and that is huge.

3dgrin.gif

who says you have the right to the moral highground? who says you have earned that right?

I do not believe you own that piece of real estate. I believe you are one of those kind of liberal folks who would want to get rid of "Ole Miss" and "Rebels". You have an elitist, "higher than thou" attitude....and that is the real problem with the perception of Ole Miss...not the liberal BS PC stuff you and others are throwing out.

If we are known one day as the Mississippi Headless Horsemen, a lot of folks will still not like the name Mississippi for whatever foolish reason and the fact that we are in the deep south for whatever stupid reason....or whatever. Hope you understand that you are not going to please everyone out there....That is why there are other Universities out there than just Ole Miss....it gives people a choice and a place to go who do not like Ole Miss and do not want to go to Ole Miss, gives them somewhere else to go!! We are not going to make everyone out there happy and neither is any other university....we are who we are, and we should be proud of that and have every reason to be proud of that. Mississippi is a Great State, and Ole Miss is a great instituion and I am proud to be an Ole Miss Rebel. (dexter said he was proud to be an ole miss rebel too!)
(wonder why dexter chose us over florida, fla state, miami? They must have perception problems....maybe they need to change their symbols or names or something,,,just why is the state of florida losing sooo many great athletes??....Hmmmm...must have some big, racial problems down there...)

Originally posted by fingokra:
"it would still be the right thing to do. Ole Miss is a public university that purports to be the flagship of a state that's almost 40 percent black. In addition to being smart, helping them feel comfortable with Ole Miss is the morally right. "

wouldn't it be the right thing to do to educate those not knowledgeable about Ole Miss, about their misconceptions rather than just accepting them , allowing them to continue in their ignorance, and changing our identities to suit the misinformed

It's difficult to sell Ole Miss to people you can't even get to come to campus, isn't it?

its all symbolic. we've recieved so much negative exposure over the years .... we wont ever overcome it .... not anytime soon anyway.

Personally ,I'd love to see Col Reb roaming the games again .

fingokra ,tell your bro hello !
This post was edited on 2/22 8:13 PM by REBRN

the very few that are so misinformed as to not even visit and see if their preconceptions may be incorrect aren't going to be swayed by name changes

Originally posted by StonewallReb:
who says you have the right to the moral highground? who says you have earned that right?

I do not believe you own that piece of real estate. I believe you are one of those kind of liberal folks who would want to get rid of "Ole Miss" and "Rebels". You have an elitist, "higher than thou" attitude....and that is the real problem with the perception of Ole Miss...not the liberal BS PC stuff you and others are throwing out.

If we are known one day as the Mississippi Headless Horsemen, a lot of folks will still not like the name Mississippi for whatever foolish reason and the fact that we are in the deep south for whatever stupid reason....or whatever. Hope you understand that you are not going to please everyone out there....That is why there are other Universities out there than just Ole Miss....it gives people a choice and a place to go who do not like Ole Miss and do not want to go to Ole Miss, gives them somewhere else to go!! We are not going to make everyone out there happy and neither is any other university....we are who we are, and we should be proud of that and have every reason to be proud of that. Mississippi is a Great State, and Ole Miss is a great instituion and I am proud to be an Ole Miss Rebel. (dexter said he was proud to be an ole miss rebel too!)
(wonder why dexter chose us over florida, fla state, miami? They must have perception problems....maybe they need to change their symbols or names or something,,,just why is the state of florida losing sooo many great athletes??....Hmmmm...must have some big, racial problems down there...)

McCluster didn't have offers from those programs. He was a diamond in the rough. Try to keep up.

I agree that Mississippi is a great state. That's why I want to see Ole Miss become the default choice for every Mississippian. But I guess cartoon characters are more important to you.

Re: You are right and that is huge.

We see it the same way Mav, and that is huge...... cute smiles brother.

but it is not exclusive to us....we should not be given a guilt complex over that. I watched the racial problems of LA, Chicago, Alabama, Georgia, Detroit....racial problems have been everywhere all through history,,,,,not just the USA either.

It is arrogant and silly to make it look like that should just be left at our doorsteps. By the way, there are Black racists, just like there are white racist...

There is racism depicted all through the Bible and there is racism today going on between Israel and Iran, etc....how can it exists in just some microorganism known as Ole Miss....that is soooo silly and wrong and uneducated. Get over it, we are doing great with our Black athletes and black students and white athletes and white students...we are further along the path than most instituions, whether that instituition be another college or a Nation somewhere.

Originally posted by fingokra:
the very few that are so misinformed as to not even visit and see if their preconceptions may be incorrect aren't going to be swayed by name changes

So, we should just leave that ammunition out for our opponents to use.

Great logic. Please don't apply for a job in public relations.

I'll just say this

as the 11th biggest SEC school in the littlest SEC town with the 10th largest athletic budget, we cant afford to give opposing coaches ANY recruiting ammo and then lament why we arent national contenders every year.

I have said 100 times, corky, that it is fine with me if they do not bring colreb back but they damn better leave "Ole Miss" and "Rebels" alone. Now, yesterday you said that it was I who had the reading comprehension problem, or you sure it is not you??

By the way, Florida has lost and is losing hundreds and hundreds of athletes to schools outside of Florida, and a lot of them are very highly recruited...why don't you give it a break and take a vacation to Florida, and while you are down there, go talk to Florida, and Fla State and Miami about changing their symbols and mascots and all that crap?

I have said 100 times, corky, that it is fine with me if they do not bring colreb back but they damn better leave "Ole Miss" and "Rebels" alone.

My fault. I should have said you value nicknames and mascots more than the university as a whole.

I'm interested--what are the terms of your ultimatum? Are you and your friends going to start another riot? Or just pose for pictures with Richard Barrett?

Re: You are right and that is huge.

Hey, let me ask you, and I am serious....do you think that the symbols of the United States should change and that the US flag should be changed also? Be honest. I think your point was in a post above was that since we are connected to so many outside of our state, that all of these people we are connected to have a right to change our symbols and our name?

Likewise, since the US is connected with so many now outside of our borders....do they have a right to dictate our US symbols and flag, etc.?
I mean, afterall, we are all so interconnected right??

Have you ever been to Auburn or Tuscaloosa? They are extremely different from Oxford when it comes to size. I've been to all the SEC towns except Fayetteville, Lexington, and Knoxville so I cannot speak about them but the only town that is even close to Oxford is Athens in my opinion.

no, we are just going to watch people like you join hands with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and Rev Wright and walk down the street and sing "we shall overcome" in a high c pitch. I hate barrett....I do believe he is a racist, but as far as myself, I am not nor are people like me. But there you go with your label crap again...just like all liberals do. If someone disagrees with you, then you libs hit them with some label so as to try and castigate them,,,it is so silly and so Saul Alinsky kind of thinking.....

It will very much hurt our University if you get rid of Ole Miss and Rebels...I question your motivation.

no, we are just going to watch people like you join hands with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and Rev Wright and walk down the street and sing "we shall overcome" in a high c pitch. I hate barrett....I do believe he is a racist, but as far as myself, I am not nor are people like me. But there you go with your label crap again...just like all liberals do. If someone disagrees with you, then you libs hit them with some label so as to try and castigate them,,,it is so silly and so Saul Alinsky kind of thinking.....

It will very much hurt our University if you get rid of Ole Miss and Rebels...I question your motivation.

You said yesterday that you opposed forcing Ole Miss to integrate.

It's quite clear where you're coming from.

Thank God the Ole Miss you loved is gone forever.

I still want to know the answer to this question, what is next? At first the problem was DIXIE, then it was the FLAG, and then COL REB was the "perceived" problem. I am really worried about what our next perceived problem will be, could it be REBELS?

There you go...why did you leave out the rest of what I said?

I said I was agains the forced part, but that it should have happened naturally like my high school, and it would have.

You purposely left that out....that is why I have the right to question your motivation. I have a ton of Black friends, so do not hit me with that crap.

This racist bit is tiring, but until we start seeing that the sword cuts both ways we are fighting a losing battle. Slowly we are giving up on our heritage. For Example, equating the Confederate Battle Flag to the Nazi Swastika because a few idiot skinheads parade it around. What a joke. It had to go. That was going to change our perception. Then Colonel Reb became offensive. He had to go. That was supposed to change our political standing. Now, out with From Dixie with Love. That is going to change all of the recruits minds about our beloved Ole Miss. Oh, Ole Miss, isn't that racist too? It's gotta go. Rebels, well thats in reference to our Confederate ancestry, gotta go too. Mississippi, well from what everyone tells me, that is the most racially oppressive State in the Union. Maybe change the name to Magnolia University, but then again the Magnolia blossom is inherently racist as well because of its prevelance in the South. Need to change that too.
I love my Ole Miss sports like everyone else, but if I have to lose my entire identity to pull for the Magnolia Catfish I quit. Somebody tell me how we can have this conversation when there are black universities in our State? There are also double digit exclusively black organizations on our campus in Oxford. How many exclusively White organizations do we have these days?? What a joke........If that is the way it has got to be, lets leave the SEC, become a real university again and let our "real" student athletes compete without scholarships.

Originally posted by 5StarRebel:
There are also double digit exclusively black organizations on our campus in Oxford. How many exclusively White organizations do we have these days??

Take a drive down Sorority and Fraternity Rows. There are a few there.

If they needed to , yes. I am helping a Black family right now, at St Jude's in Memphis, I am helping them through giving money, I and my fellow church members are in constant prayer for them daily. I have given help in all kinds of forms to lots of Black people through time and I have received help from them too...so what is your point?

Cortez, I think that post proves you are a racist and a bean counter. I think it proves you have an agenda.

Re: you really need to change your handle

from Cortez the killer to CORTEZ the OLE MISS killer! Political correctness is slowly destroying America.

Unlike some of you, I've had all the stinking "Change" I can

stand. Take your "Change" and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Re: Unlike some of you, I've had all the stinking "Change" I can

Preach on brother, isn't it great to know that God does not change. Hey, if He were on earth today, some of these PC types sure would try and change Him, wouldn't they?

What a foolish person you seem to be.

nice to have your input Lunker7.

I understood about the flag and supported it's removal. (I always thought we should have thrown up blue flags w/ Ole Miss in red.) I understand about the Colonel, but I don't understand how getting rid of the name Ole Miss is going to help us. Just my opinion though!

People are going to use the Colonel as "racism fodder" until we have a differentiated mascot (again, it could be something not so drastically different). I don't get what people can't see about that.

We can try to "educate" everyone all we want on the issue, but it will be an endless battle that will rage on with every black youth born in this state. Why put ourselves through that when we can remove the ammunition from the guns of those who would criticize Ole Miss and our state?

The idea that "'Ole Miss' and 'Rebels' are next!" is asinine and nothing but fear-mongering. If we change the meaning of "Rebels" with our mascot and keep the name "Mississippi" in this state, we can justify our nicknames. When our own fanbase is split on the Col. Reb issue, however, we can't expect it not to have some adverse effects in recruiting and the like.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT