ADVERTISEMENT

All of you...

Yeah, a small town in rural Alabama,,, AUBURN. They always suck at football too. They should leave states and throw up a metropolitan area cuz you just cant win in a small southern town. RIIIIIGHT

Re: You're misunderstanding

ok...so being the Mississippi whatevers will make opponents easier to beat in a sporting contest...RIGHT...argument is stupid. It's wrong to take away something that I love and want my kids to grow up being a part of, just so someone with a poor conception of reality can feel better about. Their opinion is no greater than mine! My opinion is, if you think that the stupd racial shit still exist here, go to another school, in fact go to any school in the South and see if there aren't symbols you would perceive as a racial post...we got the athletes to win game and we got the professors to teach classes, we will be absolutely fine without you and maybe one day you will wake the hell up and realize the difference between perception and reality.

You said it Stone - I was calling on a customer with MS Power last month in Meridian and she told me she went to state because she did not feel welcome/comfortable with the attitude you mention.

Now that bothers me.

You do realize just because you believe something does not make it the "right thing to do" don't you? I'm so sick and tired of hearing you people try to force your views on everyone that doesn't agree with you.

Clueless...it would help to change it. Sad to change it, but sometimes

tough decisions have to be made. Again, it is sad and will take a while to transition, but in the long run it is no doubt the right decision.

Re: Yes, Obama was a good choice.

Originally posted by RebelsOwnYou:
nm
Cortez the Killer and Grovedreamin are what is wrong with this country. They are always on their knees to the PC Police.

facepalm.jpg

This post was edited on 2/23 9:40 AM by Paul Allen

My biggest issue with all the symbols stuff is that it is nothing but a strawman... A cop-out to avoid actually doing anything substantive.

Will adopting an Antelope as a mascot do anything to raise Ole Miss above tier 3 in the US News rankings? Of course not.

Will a Titan really make people forget about 1962? Of course not.

What a new mascot will do is make the administration look progressive and modern to their fellow academic types without actually doing anything to improve our image in our own state.

Drop the mascot crap and start actually reaching out to the State of Mississippi - getting the University as a whole aggressively involved throughout the state will do more good for Ole Miss than a giant Turtle as a mascot ever will... But, the administration would rather take the easy way out and scapegoat a harmless old man who lived a few years past his time.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

O.K. I have read every comment/post. I have observed taht a discussiion that started out abut a mascot ended up abouot God, Country and the evil one. Old racist never die. They jsut keep looking for a new way to express a dead or, hopeuflly, a dying attitude/philosophy. With some it is not possible to enter into a debate. It is like being in a peeing war. Who wins? Everybody comes out smelling.

By the way Stonewall, I live in Florida but grew up in Mississippi. I loved Miss and I love Florida. You mentioned about the hundreds of atheletes leaving Florida. The reason is simple. There are more Div. 1 players in Fla than the local universities can absorb.

End the bad PR

You cant look at this issue with political glasses on and certainly not emotional ties to symbolism. The University is a living, changing entity that has to compete in the world around it. It IS NOT like the future taxing of my delicious sweet tea drinking tradition. IT IS a marketing issue at most, as well as the normal process of growth. I bet you anything if the students who chose to be the Rebels knew what would happen to their beloved school in the future due to that decision, we would be the Flood. End of issue today.

That said, we can come together now and make some broad decisions regarding the mascot, the Rebels, the name Ole Miss and leave behind the Public Relations nightmare that comes back again and again and will forever until we choose to move on.

I would suggest changing from the Rebels as it is solely tied to the Colonel type mascot that every High School had in the 1970's. That is way out of style. It is a dying image across the nation. And although I hate to admit it, they will soon come after us for the name Ole Miss as being the Plantation Matron.......blah, blah, blah. Best thing would be to keep the name as a term of affection, and unofficial.

Students and Alum should build the University up today and choose a new marketable image with the administration on the sidelines facilitating the discussion. Make it fast please!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish it could be painless.

Re: End the bad PR

Soooooo, if Ole Miss is nothing but a fluid concept and nothing but an ever-changing one (notice I said "nothing but,"...I realize that all universities are ever-changing in a few ways), than what at all makes it Ole Miss? What makes it Ole Miss instead of just the Universtiy of Mississippi? What at all is it that we all love about it? I always thought that Frank E. Everett's poem summed it up pretty well, but I guess not if it is just a fluid concept. Should we remove it from the Student Union? I dont care if we have a new mascot on the sidelines at this point, but I do agree with people that they will eventually go after the names "Ole Miss" and "Rebels." I do not believe those should ever change. I have always loved Ole Miss because I have always believed with all my heart that, while there are other very special schools out there and that I would readily agree that every SEC school is very unique and has many neat aspects to it, Ole Miss is the best...its just something very special. Are we losing that? Im not asking because of a mascot alone, but in general. Im really scared that we slowly, but surely may be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT