ADVERTISEMENT

An interesting perspective on College baseball

Ptolemy1

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2003
I have linked the article below. Essentially its about an UGA baseball player that sees the harsh reality of College baseball in todays world. He contributed as a Freshman hitting .278. He had a disappointing Sophomore year and has essentially been told that UGA is taking his baseball scholarship away. One of the things that he mentioned is something that I have been reading about on a message board with many parents and players at D1, D2 etc... college baseball programs. What was mentioned is that College programs no longer spend effort in development. This has been an issue that I have seen and heard a lot of College baseball parents complain about. Colleges bring in Freshmen and then do very little to help them improve their game or get better. Essentially a College baseball scholarship to a high school kid has turned into nothing more than an opportunity to try out for the team in the fall.

A lot of College Pitchers get most of their instruction and training at outside organizations like Texas Baseball Ranch, Driveline, and Tread Academy. The college players just aren't getting much individual instruction any longer from College coaches. It's as if College Coaching is about roster management, and no longer about player development. I mentioned before on this board that there is a Big 12 team that brought in 14 Freshmen last Fall into the baseball program and retained only 5 of them on the Roster in the Spring. This is becoming more of the norm with all programs but especially with Power 5 schools.

Reactions: Rebel82-1 and Gjg23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News