ADVERTISEMENT

Beef Tenderloin - Big Green Egg - Reverse Sear

Rational Rebel

All America Prospect
Gold Member
Nov 7, 2011
I heard the pod yesterday so I figured I post my technique that I used this year.

First off, I’ll say it’s become a tradition at our house that I order a wagyu - angus blend tenderloin and it’s definitely worth it for special occasions. I ordered from Snake River and Wagyu.com, both are incredible.

I remove chain, silver skin, and small roast and tie off tenderloin. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do this. I have a mother in law that prefers meat medium well so I cook the small roast for her. This allows me to not ruin the tenderloin in an effort to please her. I then rub them down with olive oil, salt, and pepper and let rest in fridge for couple of days. I also grind up the chain and make a couple of killer hamburgers.

I fire up the egg and got it up to about 350 - 375 range. I then add a couple of cherry wood chunks and place setter. I’m paranoid about over smoking beef so I do not use a lot of wood chunks. A couple goes along way. I then put the tenderloin and roast and bring heat down to about 250. While they cooked, I basted them occasionally with a butter, rosemary, and garlic combo. I then leave it on till internal temps reads 115-120, small roast was around 135. At that time, I took both of them off and wrapped in foil.

I let them rest for about a 1/2 hour while I removed place setter and brought heat back up to around 550ish. This also gave us time to finish off getting sides ready to eat.

I then put meat back on a seared all sides while basting in butter. Once seared I took it off and sliced immediately.

It was damn good.

@Neal McCready On a side note I’ve had my BGE spring go out on me as well. I contacted them and they sent me another one. My egg was probably 7-8 years old so they new spring design was much stronger in design and size. The install was fairly simple.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News