FOOTBALL: Friday, Dec. 6 Ole Miss football coaching search chiks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
Ole Miss continues its search for Matt Luke's successor today. We'll have updates as warranted on this thread.

Here's Thursday's thread in the event you need to catch up:

https://olemiss.forums.rivals.com/t...rch-chiks-presented-by-oxford-krystal.226605/

I was told late last night by a source close to the process it was safe to go to bed. In other words, there was to be no news/resolution overnight. To my knowledge, that held true.

Ole Miss, per sources, met with FAU coach Lane Kiffin over Skype (or something similar to Skype) on Wednesday at some point and then flew to South Florida for a lengthy face-to-face meeting Thursday. Ole Miss' competition for Kiffin appears to be Arkansas. Arkansas AD Hunter Yurachek has previously met with Kiffin, per sources.

There were rumors last night that Arkansas had moved on from Kiffin, but to my knowledge, that's not wholly accurate. I do think the Razorbacks are exploring other options (Boise State's Bryan Harsin, Tulane's Willie Fritz, Louisiana Tech's Skip Holtz and FIU's Butch Davis were all mentioned by different people Thursday and Thursday night as possibilities in Fayetteville). Ole Miss' fallback option, should it not land Memphis' Mike Norvell or Kiffin, appears to be Louisiana-Lafayette coach Billy Napier. (Note: Napier is not a Jimmy Sexton client, as I mistakenly said in the YouTubechat Thursday morning. He is represented by Pete Rouselle's firm, Suite 615). Napier, per sources, wants the job and thought he was in pretty good shape early in the week. As the week progressed, momentum for Kiffin skyrocketed, leading to a shift in Ole Miss' thinking in the middle of the week.

What's going to happen today? My guess is nothing. I've long said Ole Miss wants to talk to Memphis' Mike Norvell before doing anything. I believe that still holds true. There are rumors/rumblings/unconfirmed speculation from people I trust that Ole Miss has a Friday afternoon deadline on one candidate. Again, that's unconfirmed. It's my educated opinion Ole Miss athletics director Keith Carter will be on the move by Saturday at the latest.

Here's a refresher on Saturday championship games:

Sun Belt: ULL at App. State, 11 a.m. CST

C-USA: FAU vs. UAB, 12:30 p.m. CST

AAC: Cincinnati at Memphis, 2:30 p.m. CST

My guess is we're in a public holding pattern until after those games and then things begin to roll late Saturday/early Sunday.

We'll keep digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News