ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Friday practice observations

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
Ole Miss put on shoulder pads for the first time this preseason Friday morning, working more than two hours. The Rebels will practice again Saturday morning in shoulder pads before putting on full pads for the first time next week.
Here are a few observations from Friday's practice:
-- The quarterback race is between Jaxson Dart and Luke Altmyer, but Kinkead Dent has done some good things. They were getting him some No. 2 reps on Friday, it appeared. Obviously, an injury to Dart or Altmyer would magnify Dent's role, and the Rebels appear intent on having him ready.
-- Tight end Casey Kelly drew praise repeatedly Friday for his blocking prowess. He also caught a few passes in 7-on-7 work. Right now, he's the guy at tight end.
-- Kentrell Bullock isn't the starter at running back, in all likelihood, but he got a lot of work with the starters on Friday. Bullock looks really good, part of a loaded running back room.
-- Early in the practice, I would've given the edge to Dart. Dart connected with Western Kentucky transfer Dayton Wade for a nice touchdown on a post route early in skeleton work. Later in the practice, up on the artificial turf field, Dart was making plays and drawing congratulations from teammates. He was looking sharp. During the latter part of the practice, Altmyer got hot and Dart cooled off. In one 7-on-7 session, Altmyer completed six straight passes, hitting Kelly, Jordan Watkins (twice), Sellers Shy, Bullock and Bralon Brown on different routes, spreading the ball all over the field. Dart's turn in that period wasn't nearly as efficient, as he underthrew one target and then had an incompletion thrown into traffic. Through three practices, I just don't know. I'm glad it's not my decision.
-- KD Hill ended an offensive possession with a strong play against the run, drawing praise from DL coach Randall Joyner.
-- Altmyer also had a big throw early, hitting Quinshon Judkins on a wheel route out of the backfield. The ball was thrown perfectly through a small window, beating good coverage from -- if I recall correctly -- Roman Rashada.
-- It was just one day, but I couldn't help but notice some real leadership on the offensive side from Nick Broeker and Mason Brooks. The two linemen are very involved, always praising and encouraging teammates.
-- Freshman Tyler Banks was getting some work with the two-deep at linebacker.
-- It kind of felt like the defense was ahead of the offense in team work. The offense just struggled to get much going. Altmyer just missed Watkins on a deep route, but otherwise, it felt like the defense controlled things.
-- Offensive lineman Micah Pettus and linebacker Jaron Willis exchanged words and looked like they were ready to go to blows before it was broken up. It was hot and tempers flared. It happens.
-- Ulysses Bentley IV has a real burst and is going to be dangerous in space.
-- It was just one lineup in a team drill, and Ole Miss is running a ton of guys onto the field, but I thought it was an interesting lineup. Cedric Johnson, Hill and Itavius Robinson lined up at defensive line. Brandon Mack and Ashanti Cistrunk were at linebacker. The secondary consisted of Ladarius Tennison, Miles Battle, Otis Reese, Tysheem Johnson, Kendrick Breedlove and A.J. Finley.

Notes:
Ole Miss will hold an open practice on Saturday, Aug. 13. The Rebels are set to begin the scrimmage inside Vaught-Hemingway Stadium tentatively at 11:30 a.m.
Due to ongoing construction at the Manning Center, this event will take place in leu of the annual "Meet the Rebels."
Beginning two hours before the open practice, an exclusive Rebel Kids Club fall kickoff event will take place. That will feature face-painting, photo opportunities, and more. To sign up, visit RebelKidsClub.com.
Fans should park in the Pavilion garage and enter through gates 32 and 33 in the southwest corner. Gates will open at 11 a.m. Seating will be available in the west grandstand. The open practice time is subject to change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News