ADVERTISEMENT

Grove Bowl Games observations from a retired (for now) coach

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
I went to my first spring "game" at Ole Miss (yeah, I know, terrible fan here) Saturday. I went mainly to get out of my house (two more weeks rehab time, I hope) and partly to see for myself what CLK had cooked up for the "Grove Bowl Games". It was a beautiful day so getting out was a positive. The exhibition put on by the team, coaches, and staff was...different...much like an old school field day (all that was missing was a sack race and a 3-legged man race...maybe next year) but was one where everyone involved seemed to have a relaxing, enjoyable time. Here is what I observed:

1. Much like Neal, I came away from the experience impressed with the genius of CLK. I told my buddy that went with me (not the Nettleton legend, another close friend, as this was a last-minute decision to attend) that CLK was a marketing genius for having the...moxy...to try something like this when the standard is an exhibition game that all coaches (hand raised) hate and often leads to injuries and/or locker room dissension. I was/am jealous that I didn't think of it years ago while I was coaching. And another thing, WHO thinks about inviting the 16 time world hotdog-eating champion to their spring game to eat hot dogs with his team but CLK? Bottom line: We have the most innovative, head-turning, headline-grabbing coach in the SEC, possibly the country.

2. Anyone who thinks that Austin Simmons is the unquestioned heir apparent at the QB position is selling Walker Howard short. The guy was a 5-star player coming out of high school for a reason. He looked really good. His field presence (yes, I know it was 7v7 in shorts, but still) was impressive. He made several nice throws. Simmons looked like a guy splitting time with another sport. He is undoubtedly a talent, but he looked like a rising high school senior (which he could be) at times too. Finally, I was impressed with AJ Maddox from Oak Grove. He might have something to say about who takes JD's place before it is over with.

3. Cayden Lee looked really good on Saturday. I have been impressed with him since watching his high school tape before he signed with us. Dude has take the top off speed. I sensed a little friendly competition between him and Jordan Watkins in their interview before the "obstacle course". Watkins made sure he made it a point to say that he was the fastest guy on the team. Competition makes everyone better. Watkins is the most experienced receiver we have coming back, having proven his value again and again. It will be interesting to see how that competition unfolds.

4. I was glad to see everyone get through spring with no major injuries. I saw Hudson Wolfe out there Saturday and cringed every time the ball got near him. I hope the young man can finally get completely healthy and make a solid contribution this season. The measurements are there. Prieskorn looks like a man among boys.

5. While Dart is the team leader, JJ Pegues seems to have emerged as the leader of the defense. I have watched that guy since he was in high school (I lobbied a family member HARD for him to stay home and not go to Auburn at a high school game I went to watch him at) and his leadership has always stood out to me. He has IT. Jared Ivey seems to have IT as well. Both of those guys were cajoling their teammates during the festivities and demonstrating how to deal with adversity when CLK continually modified the "rules" of the scorekeeping. I am really excited about the prospects for the defense this year.

That is what I observed, feel free to share anything you may have observed that I missed/omitted. That is all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News