Looks like Arch may move up to #2

Desoto Blue

Second Team QB
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2012
Malik Murphy to the Portal

Texas QB Maalik Murphy to Enter Transfer Portal Amid Ewers, Manning Rumors​

PAUL KASABIANDECEMBER 13, 2023

ARLINGTON, TX - DECEMBER 02: Texas Longhorns quarterback Maalik Murphy (6) warms up during the Big 12 Championship football game between the Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma State Cowboys on December 02, 2023 at AT&T Studium in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Matthew Visinsky/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Matthew Visinsky/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Texas quarterback Maalik Murphy plans to enter the NCAA transfer portal, per ESPN's Pete Thamel, who further relayed that the signal-caller has notified the Longhorn coaching staff of his intentions.
Murphy told ESPN's Pete Thamel that he will not stay with Texas for the College Football Playoff:
Pete Thamel@PeteThamel
Maalik Murphy told ESPN he's not going to be with the Longhorns in the College Football Playoff. He would have preferred to stay through the season, but the timing did not allow it. Murphy told ESPN: "It's nothing against Texas at all. I'm doing this purely for me and my future.…
That news comes amid reports that both Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning are likely to return to Texas.
Per Bobby Burton of On3.com, there is a "90 percent" chance Ewers will return to the team.
Thamel has done some reporting on the subject, too, writing on Dec. 2 that the chances of Ewers returning "has increased exponentially in the past few weeks."

That leads to speculation on what Manning, a 5-star quarterback and the top recruit in the 2023 class, would end up doing. It appears that he'll end up staying in Texas.
"Obviously, Arch Manning is the name that looms above it all—everybody's interested in Arch," Chris Hummer of 247Sports said on Manning. "Based on everything we've heard, Arch is perfectly happy at Texas. I think the expectation is he will be back in 2024."
That leaves Murphy struggling for future playing time. The redshirt freshman out of Inglewood, California stepped in for an injured Ewers (AC joint sprain, right shoulder) after the starter got hurt late in a 31-24 win over Houston on Oct. 21.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News