ADVERTISEMENT

My Akers thoughts this morning

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
I've reached out to the Florida State Rivals.com guys. I'd love to know more about their sourcing. Anyway...

Obviously FSU assistant Tim Brewster is confident. He's an excellent recruiter. I find it difficult to believe he's basing his confidence on nothing but Akers' dad's words. He's too good of a recruiter not to know the family dynamic by now.

I think much of the Ole Miss confidence comes from people having talked to Clinton coach Judd Boswell and/or members of the CHS staff. They think it's Ole Miss, per lots of people, which is why the community there thinks it's Ole Miss. However, I'm told Akers and his mom haven't told anyone where he's committing to tonight. I'm not sure I believe that, but I've heard it from multiple people.

Boswell could have a dog in the proverbial hunt. There are lots of rumors he could be joining Hugh Freeze's staff in some administrative capacity. We were going to have him on the podcast a few weeks ago. He agreed to come on and then I tweeted he would be on. Since then, he hasn't responded to me, so if you made me guess, Ole Miss asked him to stay quiet.

LSU thinks Akers is going to Ole Miss. Tennessee thinks he's going to Florida State. Several people have said the school Akers truly likes the most is Ohio State, but the Buckeyes are out of it. All that lends credence to is the notion that Akers and/or his mom haven't told anyone the final decision.

Why did he move it up? Well, I suspect he wanted to do it at home. However, one has to consider the notion that FSU finally told him, "Hey, we love you and you're Priority 1, but if you're not coming, we have to move on another RB." That's certainly possible, and that typically works on a kid who wants to go to the school that says that. I'm brainstorming.

Bottom line: With 12 hours to go, I don't know where he's going. Chase doesn't either. l don't think any of the other sites covering Ole Miss truly KNOW either. I don't have a prediction at this point, as I just don't know what I'd be basing that prediction on. It seems to come down, as weird as this sounds, to Judd Boswell vs. Tim Brewster.

As of now, we'll be there. We'll work it all day, and when we know something, we'll tell you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News