ADVERTISEMENT

Orgeron to lsu

zreb

All-Pro NFL
Feb 27, 2002
This is really not good for us. My only hope is he gets hired away in year 2. We are in for it now!

Re: Bebe Orgeron will lock down Louisiana

I remember a quote from him........."Our goal is to go to the Sugar Bowl." He was clueless when it came to the offensive side of the ball.

Well he doesn't have to know anything about it now.

I yield to others in making judgments on Oregeon as a coach. I will simply note that he worked for/under possibly the worst athletic director in major college history. With so little support, did anyone really think Oregeon would succeed?

The damage Pete Boone did to OM athletics can not be overstated.

Not to mention that he had "NO REDZONE MAZZONE" shoved down his throat as his OC. This is a proof of the philosophy is isn't who you are, but who you know. OM athletics needs to rid itself of the "Good ol' Boy" system that hampers it. There are too many long time leeches sucking the life out of it.

He recruited 17 NFL starters to OM after Otis had the program in a death spiral.

And he got us some good ones like Snead and Marcus Tillman who never played in the NFL.

Originally posted by ranchreb:
And he got us some good ones like Snead and Marcus Tillman who never played in the NFL.
Ranch--you and I both know that despite the fact I can see why Coach O was fired I also think if he had returned in 2008 that he finally had a team of top performers ready to make an SEC run. That 2008 team was probably the best group of athletes at OM over the last 10-11 years. HS coaches and recruits love the guy. Unfortunately, Coach O had no experience at being a head coach and besides losing after being left virtually no players he did not know how to work the politics involved in keeping the powers at OM happy.

Personally, I think Coach O is a magnificent DL coach and maybe DC material. I am not sure he is HC material. The guy recruited stud after stud for Jimmy Johnson & Dennis Erickson at Miami, for Pete Carroll at USC, and for Kiffen at Tennessee and USC. He was DL coach for 4 different NC teams. @ @ Miami & 2 At USC.

I'll always wonder what might have happened at OM given another year. OM was not wrong to fire him, but not 100% right either. And regardless of what some say Coach O is an easy guy to like.

Ranch I'd love your thoughts on Coach O since you more than most were a big supporter.

It was a bittersweet parting. The talent he brought may have been able to overcome questionable coaching. Your assessments pretty spot on to me but Ranch has much more insight to what's what.

I was so against Coach O not getting one more year. He deserved the chance with the talent he brought to OM. He was also screwed at USC. I think he will be a great fit at LSU & wish him the best except when he plays us.

Boone hated him. Khayat hired him and Boone wanted Erickson. Boone made Orgeron's life miserable. The man was constantly getting stabbed in the back. Unfortunately he took his frustrations out on his staff, some he thought were conspiring with Boone. Boone had placed Mazzone on his staff to spy. The man never had a chance. No one could have been successful under those conditions. Every assistant was scared to death of him. We never had one single player get in trouble though. I felt sorry for him. I liked him. His best friend that he grew up with emailed me and thanked me for supporting him. I made a lot of enemies doing it though.

Of all the changes at OM in the last few years.......coaches, players, facilities, etc. Boone leaving is the most important in moving OM athletics forward.

A Baton Rouge sports reporter has already called the addition of Steele and Orgeron as creating a recruiting "Dream Team". An NFL scout reportedly said that LSU now has the best recruiting staff in the country. If you want to read the article, click here. Of course that won't necessarily result in more wins. LSU has always had a highly rated recruiting class. It seems most Tiger fans were disappointed in Steele as DC but Orgeron lessened that disappointment. It is interesting that Brick Haley, former DL line coach, was removed from his coaching position to get Orgeron. Haley interviewed for the DC position and was supposedly given a lot of consideration. If Miles didn't keep him as DL coach, he may not have really been in the running for DC. He could wind up at A&M due to his relationship with Chavis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT