ADVERTISEMENT

OT music question: drum solos

pcrebel

SEC Player of the Year
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
Quick note before I pose the question:
I went to the 2nd Bonnaroo. I have been to a Grateful Dead show before Jerry died (4/2/95 Memphis Pyramid). The day my father died, I sat alone in the ICU with him for a while and played his favorite Dead albums: American Beauty and Workingman’s Dead. I’ve been to more than a dozen Panic shows. I’ve been to an Allman Brothers show before Greg died. I say all that background info to show I am not anti-jamming or anti-jam bands. But I still wonder this often. Hopefully someone on here can give an informed answer to my questions:

Why do some bands have long drum solos during the second set? What is the purpose? I understand taking a song into an extended jam, teasing another song, flowing into the next song, etc. But why do they need a drum solo that’s more than a minuteo? I know there are altered minds in the crowd who have no concept of time during the show. Been there, done that, missing the brain cells to prove it. But why do they need a 14 minute long drum solo? I can’t imagine the days of listening on a tape and not able to fast forward past “drums.”

Reactions: TheGratefulReb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News