ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Need Help Dog (Pyrenees) Sibling Issue.

cousrey75

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2007
Hey guys,

First. Wanted to ask RG for a little help. We have two Pyrs (Bill & Ted) that we fostered and then decided to keep. They are brothers and have been neutered. They are now a year old and while they had some scraps in the past, it has amplified the last week to attacks for no reason from the larger of the two (Ted). Trainer said it is Sibling Syndrome. Said that and resource guarding are very common in Pyrs. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this?

ETA - Read the article and this seems not be an issue because they do learn commands, have some separation issues but not severe and bonded with us very tightly, excepting the attacking by the larger of the smaller.

Second. In one of the last fights, Ted growled at me and while I backed him off and ultimately separated them the thought crossed my mind that I was going to have to fight him or shoot him. I have two girls 9 and 12 and my wife as well to worry about. So regardless, I would like to remove him from our home. I do not want to put him down, so I was wondering if anyone needs a good farm dog (they escaped from one) or a guard dog and would be willing to evaluate him to see if he can be saved. Big ask I know given the information above, but I thought maybe someone with Pyrs on here or prior experience may be interested. I believe one poster had one on his farm that killed a coyote or other predator?

Third. In the alternative, I was wondering if anyone knew of a trainer that could take him and evaluate him to see if he is salvageable. He is extremely sweet and loving and loves his people. He loves his brother too until he doesn't. He's been good with our other dogs as well other than a very occasional growl over food/water. Not atypical around resources by any means for any dog. Our corgis do the same if not far worse, its just a manageable scale. Oddly enough he never attacks his brother over food.

I am reaching out to trainers on my own and trying to find a way to save this dog.

Really appreciate y'alls help as the dog may end up suffering for my want to keep him and its tearing me up. Apologies for bumps in advance.

Thanks,

Chris

ETA - link on sibling syndrome. https://blog.betternaturedogtraining.com/2013/07/18/littermate-syndrome/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News