ADVERTISEMENT

Please consider: Reagan Burford

jasongreer

4-Year Starter
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2003
Germantown
Reagan Burford's father, also named Reagan, attended MUS, moving from Senatobia to take advantage of the school's athletic and educational opportunities. Reagan, Sr was an All-State tennis player at MUS. He had Popeye-like forearms. I’m convinced he could have played golf at Ole Miss, too.

While at Ole Miss, Reagan Sr. succeeded me as the T-shirt salesman at University Sporting Goods, where we both worked for Pat. Reagan Sr. and his wife, Rachel, were accounting majors and dated throughout college, eventually marrying after graduation.

I worked with Reagan for a short time at BellSouth Mobility. Reagan moved on to own his own business and became a successful entrepreneur. Reagan, Jr. attended St George High School, played the travel ball circuit, and was an all-state shortstop. Bianco recruited him, and, of course, Reagan, Jr. accepted. Why?

His family was an Ole Miss family. Reagan, Jr. attended Ole Miss football, basketball, and baseball games. The Burfords loved Ole Miss, and accepting a baseball scholarship was a no-brainer for Reagan, Jr. It was a dream offer from the school is family loved.

Let me tell you this: If you grew up an Ole Miss fan and your children ever play for Ole Miss, you will never forget that moment they first walk on the field with your name on the back of their jersey. It is a proud, proud moment.

All that said, the way I see college athletics today, I can get it if you want to go after someone who is a NIL guy who came in and performed poorly.

But for an Ole Miss kid from an Ole Miss family whose dad is from North Mississippi and whose wife is from Memphis, the constant vitriol against Burford makes me sad. I'm not as close to Reagan as I once was, but when I see him, I feel bad. I know it kills Rachel and him.

They love Ole Miss, but parts of their Ole Miss family don’t love their son back. Why? Because Junior accepted a scholarship to his dream school. He wasn't quite good enough to hit SEC pitching. He could have hit the portal last year and didn't. He chose to give it another shot at the school he loves.

It's certainly everyone's right to criticize Reagan Jr. However, consider the above the next time you take to social media and go after him. If for no other reasons, the parents of other outstanding athletes might be watching. What if the message from these parents is: "Don't send your kid to Ole Miss. You'll lose your love for Ole Miss.". My son was nowhere near the recruit Reagan was and we heard it from multiple people.

I still love Ole Miss, and so do Reagan & Rachel. But when you grow up an Ole Miss fan and love Ole Miss like all of us did, our fan base can be just like everyone else's.

Ole Miss is supposed to be different. Let's all act a little differently when it comes to eating our own. Thanks for considering.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News