ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL: Some practice observations and video from Tuesday

Neal McCready

All-Pro NFL
Staff
Feb 26, 2008
Oxford, MS
First, here's Matt Luke post-practice:

WR A.J. Brown (hamstring) was held out of practice, though he was out there doing some conditioning stuff. ...CB Javien Hamilton (hamstring) was in the same boat as Brown. ...WR Demarcus Gregory did not practice. Luke didn't seem concerned. ...QB Matt Corral (cramps) missed the latter part of practice. Again, Luke wasn't concerned.

Ole Miss worked in full pads for the first time this fall camp. There were some full-contact, tackle-to-the-ground work, but it appeared to be limited. I know everyone wants a depth chart. It was my observation, especially on defense, that a depth chart is non-existent at this point. There were lots of rotations, substitutions and experiments going on.

At one point, here's what I wrote down in terms on who was where:

First-unit offense:

OL: Greg Little, Javon Patterson, Sean Rawlings, Ben Brown, Alex Givens
TE: Dawson Knox
QB: Jordan Ta'amu
RB: Scottie Phillips
WR: DaMarkus Lodge, DK Metcalf, Floyd Allen

First-unit defense:

DL: Ross Donnelly, Josiah Coatney, Qaadir Sheppard, Austrian Robinson
LB: Josh Clarke, Detric Bing-Dukes
DB: Ken Webster, Montrell Custis, C.J. Moore, Jaylon Jones, Zedrick Woods

Second-unit offense:

OL: Royce Newman, Bryce Matthews, Chandler Tuitt, Jordan Sims, Tony Gray
TE: Nick Haynes
WR: Alex Weber, Elijah Moore, Braylon Sanders
QB: Matt Corral
RB: Eric Swinney

Second-unit defense:

DL: Quentin Bivins, Benito Jones, Markell Winters, K.D. Hill
LB: Zikerrion Baker, Mohamed Sanogo
DB: Keidron Smith, C.J. Miller, Myles Hartsfield, Kam'ron White, Vernon Dasher

All depth chart jokes aside, there isn't one yet, so if you're parsing that listing for hints, you're forcing something that isn't there.

Some observations:

-- LB Kevontae' Ruggs is thin and plays a little high, but he made plays Tuesday. He intercepted a pass early in team drills and just kind of was everywhere.

-- Jaylon Jones made a nice play against DK Metcalf early, drawing Matt Luke's praise. One play, later, Ta'amu hit Lodge on a crossing route that would have gone a long way in a real game setting.

-- It's obvious the coaches would like to find a role for Tariqous Tisdale. He was really good in spurts Tuesday working with the second-unit defense.

-- Sanogo was working at both linebacker spots, from what I could tell. Again, lots of experiments going on.

-- Scottie Phillips committed a fumble in team drills. Later, Austrian Robinson blew him up behind the line of scrimmage.

-- Floyd Allen and Elijah Moore got a lot of snaps that would normally go to A.J. Brown, I'm guessing. Both had good days.

-- Zikerrion Baker forced an Eric Swinney fumble at the end of the day in 1-on-1 drills, prompting linebackers coach Jon Sumrall to tackle Baker with joy.

More content coming later.

Here are some scenes from Tuesday:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News