ADVERTISEMENT

Study in Stats - Part 1: Texas A&M Offense vs Ole Miss Defense

larryjoe1979

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2011
You ever get bored? I got bored. So I looked at ESPN stats for numbers to compare for the game coming up Saturday. I am no statistician by any mean, and have little to no experience with comparing stats in football. In short, I am an idiot. But this is what I found.

Ole Miss's defense averages:

Rush Defense - 135.4 yards a game
Pass Defense - 218.9 yards a game

For comparison(Rush Defense of next better/worst of a team that has played Texas A&M):

Better - Arkansas 131.6 yards a game
Worse - South Carolina 137.1 yards a game

For comparison(Pass Defense of next better/worst of a team that has played Texas A&M):

Better - Auburn 207.4 yards a game
Worse - Tennessee 222.4 yards a game

Ok. So now we have averages, but that is not the full story. Let us look at what Texas A&M average for the year and what they did offensively in each of these games

Texas A&M Averages:

Pass 265.8 yards a game
Rush 128.5 yards a game

Rushing stats:

Against Arkansas:
204 yards rushing and 210 yards passing

Against South Carolina
105 yards rushing and 249 yards passing

Passing stats:
Against Auburn
209 yards rushing and 193 yards rushing

Against Tennessee
54 yards rushing and 223 yards passing

Average of these 4 games:
143 yards rushing and 218.75 yards a game

So, what does this show me? This shows me that against similar defenses to Ole Miss, the Texas A&M aggies run better than usual, but throw worse than usual. But let us go a little deeper. The games in order of weeks are as follows( will include yardage):

Auburn - 209 yards rushing and 193 yards rushing
Arkansas - 204 yards rushing and 210 yards passing
Tennessee - 54 yards rushing and 223 yards passing
South Carolina - 105 yards rushing and 249 yards passing

Now when we put them in order, we see a sharp decrease in rushing and slight but steady increase in passing. Is there a reason for this? Max Johnson was the qb and thus leading passer, but what about leading rusher? Lets get deeper than deeper(insert Inception sound)

Leading rushers for A&M per game in order:
Auburn - Leveon Moss 97 yards
Arkansas Leveon Moss 107 yards
Tennessee - Leveon Moss 67 yards
South Carolina - Amari Daniels 68 yards

The first 3 games listed Leveon Moss was the leading rusher, but not the 4th. Moss was injured for South Carolina and did not play. But says he will be good to go. But, how effective is Moss in the previous 4 games? The only game not listed in the last 4 is Alabama. So, Moss's last 4 are as follows:

Auburn - 97 yards
Arkansas - 107 yards
Alabama - 49 yeards
Tennessee - 67 yards

Moss and the Texas A&M rushing attack has had a sharp decline since Arkansas game. Their passing attack has done the opposite and has risen in that same time, but not at the same range as the rushing attack decline. What could this mean? To me, it means offensively Texas A&M is regressing. Their offense attack is getting weaker per game. Statistically, Tennessee has a very good defense, they are averaging 327.5 yards a game, while Ole Miss's defense is averaging 354.3 yards a game. But, if you take out the LSU game(I know it counts in the long run, but still for this post...) the average for Ole Miss changes to a better 313.9 yards a game.

To wrap it up on this one(Other words TL: DR) , there are a lot more stats and facts to use but those are the ones I thought of off the top of my head. I think Ole Miss's defense will be fine against Texas A&M. The Aggies offense attack is balanced but it seems to be regressing to me and Ole Miss's defense is improving. If others come away from these number with different conclusions, please post them. I can not stress enough that I am an idiot and the best way to learn is to read smarter people's words. I will try to look at the flip as soon as I get a chance. TIA.

• Wow
Reactions: M.O.B. Rebel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News