ADVERTISEMENT

The State of Golf

SoILLREB97

Three-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2017
I will probably watch more golf in late February through the Masters than all year. The period between the end of football, the start of the NCAA Tournament, and the Master's are usually accompanied by less-than-warm conditions (except this year) here at home. Most of my golf watching on TV after April is done by catching the re-run on the Golf Channel at night.

But, I have had little to no interest this year. We have been in Oxford for the past two weekends. On Saturday, we had a day drinking event at Funky's for my son's fraternity. We went to the basketball game and grabbed dinner. My wife and I called it an early evening while the kids went out. I put the Mexico Open on the Golf Channel, and after a few minutes, I realized that it was a less-than-stellar leaderboard and moved on to something else. Hell, I work in PR. I get making a big deal about the winner being a former bouncer. I was a former bouncer, and it didn't make me want to watch him down the stretch.

The PGA has spun it as the next generation taking over, but I am not buying it. Like most people, I hated the idea of LIV when it came out, but I am warming up to it. I watched the tournament when Pebble Beach got rained out, and overall, it was not bad. There were things I didn't care for, but some of the players I have watched for the last 10 or 15 years were featured, which caught my interest. I hope the two leagues figure something out sooner rather than later because something is missing this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News