ADVERTISEMENT

Yahoo: NCAA investigation of Ole Miss has expanded beyond Tunsil

BlindsideHeckler

Red-Shirt Freshman
Dec 14, 2014
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...n-expands-beyond-laremy-tunsil-124229650.html

"The NCAA’s protracted investigation of Mississippi has taken a new twist within the last month – investigators have interviewed players at two or more rival Southeastern Conference schools about their recruitment by the Rebels, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports.

NCAA Enforcement representatives have visited Auburn and Mississippi State, and perhaps at least one more SEC Western Division school, this summer to speak with players who were recruited by Ole Miss. The players were granted immunity from potential NCAA sanctions in exchange for truthful accounts of their recruitment, sources said."

Reactions: billywaynebama
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...n-expands-beyond-laremy-tunsil-124229650.html

"The NCAA’s protracted investigation of Mississippi has taken a new twist within the last month – investigators have interviewed players at two or more rival Southeastern Conference schools about their recruitment by the Rebels, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports.

NCAA Enforcement representatives have visited Auburn and Mississippi State, and perhaps at least one more SEC Western Division school, this summer to speak with players who were recruited by Ole Miss. The players were granted immunity from potential NCAA sanctions in exchange for truthful accounts of their recruitment, sources said."

The NCAA’s protracted investigation of Mississippi has taken a new twist within the last month – investigators have interviewed players at two or more rival Southeastern Conference schools about their recruitment by the Rebels, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports.

NCAA Enforcement representatives have visited Auburn and Mississippi State, and perhaps at least one more SEC Western Division school, this summer to speak with players who were recruited by Ole Miss. The players were granted immunity from potential NCAA sanctions in exchange for truthful accounts of their recruitment, sources said.

Those interviews indicate that the NCAA investigation has expanded beyond the spring focus on former All-American offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil.

OIe Miss officials declined comment other than to say the school is continuing to cooperate with the NCAA during the investigation. The NCAA, citing longstanding policy, declined comment as well.

Mississippi has been under investigation for years, and in late January was charged with 28 violations in three sports – 13 of them in football, with the rest coming in women’s basketball and track and field. Nine of those alleged violations occurred during the tenure of current coach Hugh Freeze, who has a 34-18 record in four seasons in Oxford.

View photos Hugh Freeze is 34-18 in four seasons as the Rebels’ coach. (Getty)
The investigation was near an end when a new issue erupted in April on the first night of the NFL draft: star offensive tackle Tunsil’s social media accounts were hacked, releasing an alleged text exchange between Tunsil and Ole Miss director of football operations John Miller. In the texts, Tunsil on two separate occasions asks Miller for money – once ostensibly for his rent, and once for his mother’s $305 utility bill. In one of the exchanges, Miller directs Tunsil to assistant athletics director for high school and junior college relations Barney Farrar.

ESPN reported in May that the text messages are real, citing sources, but that the school is investigating whether the messages were altered in any way.

Tunsil already was named in many of the major violations alleged in the January Notice of Allegations, relating to his use of numerous loaner vehicles and impermissible benefits received by his stepfather, Lindsey Miller. In its response to that notice, the university is not disputing the veracity of those NCAA allegations but has questioned the severity of the charges.

This latest development in the ongoing investigation could be a distraction for the Ole Miss coaching staff, which is preparing the No. 11-ranked Rebels for a Labor Day night season opener against No. 4 Florida State in Orlando. With an amended Notice of Allegations still to come from the NCAA, the process is far from over and is unlikely to be completed through the Committee on Infractions ruling until sometime in 2017.

I'd like to hear from our loudmouth friend @J. Lyman Stone on this one.

Him and Ranch have made their beds at this point, nothing they can do but continue to deny up till the last day.

This is actually old news, I told the Rebs here months ago that the NCAA was interviewing other SEC teams, but it was dismissed. My guess is Forde is dropping this now to get out in front of the 2nd NOA being made public, which is probably coming in about a week.

Hate it for the good Ole Miss fans, I hope they are smart enough to do a house cleaning vs just blaming Miss State and Alabama.

Him and Ranch have made their beds at this point, nothing they can do but continue to deny up till the last day.

This is actually old news, I told the Rebs here months ago that the NCAA was interviewing other SEC teams, but it was dismissed. My guess is Forde is dropping this now to get out in front of the 2nd NOA being made public, which is probably coming in about a week.

Hate it for the good Ole Miss fans, I hope they are smart enough to do a house cleaning vs just blaming Miss State and Alabama.

I got 2 questions on this though

1) why didn't they interview these recruits before they have been in other schools where they could get a sense of rivalry and loyalty to a rival school?

2) does anyone actually believe that any player at state would give non biased answer to any question about Ole Miss lol?

I'm not saying nothing wrong was done. Hell we reported wrong doing. Just wondering if they actually believe that players at rival schools will be non biased lol. Someone should ask Nkemdiche about his recruiting visit to Baton Rouge where Shaq "just happened to be eating at the table beside them" lol

Reactions: Reblarry
Freeze challenged everyone to prove any wrongdoings way back in 2013 and dang that has sure bit him in the rear end, really good coach but man him and our compliance department are beyond incompetent. We better hope for a great season this year

I got 2 questions on this though

1) why didn't they interview these recruits before they have been in other schools where they could get a sense of rivalry and loyalty to a rival school?

2) does anyone actually believe that any player at state would give non biased answer to any question about Ole Miss lol?

I'm not saying nothing wrong was done. Hell we reported wrong doing. Just wondering if they actually believe that players at rival schools will be non biased lol. Someone should ask Nkemdiche about his recruiting visit to Baton Rouge where Shaq "just happened to be eating at the table beside them" lol

I suspect most of the interviewing is involving players that took official visits to Ole Miss that signed elsewhere. And I would suspect that involves several players that took OVs to Oxford at the end of January of this year.

Just an educated hunch. As for non-biased answers, I think Ole Miss is more likely to give a biased answer to NCAA questions than its rivals are, since they are the ones under investigation.

I suspect most of the interviewing is involving players that took official visits to Ole Miss that signed elsewhere. And I would suspect that involves several players that took OVs to Oxford at the end of January of this year.

Just an educated hunch. As for non-biased answers, I think Ole Miss is more likely to give a biased answer to NCAA questions than its rivals are, since they are the ones under investigation.

I think we should lawyer up, tell the NCAA to get bonked and then burn the whole thing to the ground putting out evidence on ourselves along with every other college we can get dirt on then say "hey, you gonna hammer all of us?"

Why are we assuming that these players at other schools are going to say anything damning towards Ole Miss?

I reference the interview of Rashan Gary's mother, where she states nothing whatsoever was done by Ole Miss during recruiting that wasn't on the up and up.....

Reactions: BlindsideHeckler
Be careful BillywayneBamerbobbit. The NCAA will give these players "Immunity", but in no fashion did they say they would give their schools immunity. IF OM is paying players to sign then some other schools are outbidding them to sign with them. I'm not saying they are paying players. I am just saying if they were paying players the other schools (your school) must be paying players. Legally, if a rival player is granted immunity to testify against OM (which we know will not be unbiased coming from a rival school), they will not be granted immunity in a civil court of law if OM decides to take that route against the NCAA. The NCAA should be very cautious on the path they take with this.

Well when we started paying recruits to just show up to Oxford for official visits I knew the mental capacity of our coaches were limited. Hell Bo Scarborough was suspended four games last year for accepting the money our school gave him

Hey Pratt. Still want to protect your boy Bjork?
I can't protect him or crucify him or fire him no more than you can. We are fans, remember that nothing done here has any bearing on anything at Ole Miss. Yes i still believe this will all go how it's going to go. I get it you hate the dude but again there is nothing you can do about it lol.

Be careful BillywayneBamerbobbit. The NCAA will give these players "Immunity", but in no fashion did they say they would give their schools immunity. IF OM is paying players to sign then some other schools are outbidding them to sign with them. I'm not saying they are paying players. I am just saying if they were paying players the other schools (your school) must be paying players. Legally, if a rival player is granted immunity to testify against OM (which we know will not be unbiased coming from a rival school), they will not be granted immunity in a civil court of law if OM decides to take that route against the NCAA. The NCAA should be very cautious on the path they take with this.
See the Albert means case. Bama got hammered but other rival schools were also involved in the "bidding" process. Nothing happened to them for snitching since the player didn't sign. We signed the kid and were penalized.

See the Albert means case. Bama got hammered but other rival schools were also involved in the "bidding" process. Nothing happened to them for snitching since the player didn't sign. We signed the kid and were penalized.
Why do you think that is? All the schools recruiting him like Auburn, for example, backed off him once they were informed it would take $$$$ to get him. Everyone with any sense backed off him cause word was out all over the streets that he had a crooked coach pimping him out. Only the boldest cheaters in all of college football would be arrogant enough to sign him. And look what happened....you stooooopid bammers got picked!
LMAO.gif

Reactions: J. Lyman Stone

You don't realize that the NCAA has already punished some of these other players. That's also helping to make the case against Ole Miss.

Why do you think that is? All the schools recruiting him like Auburn, for example, backed off him once they were informed it would take $$$$ to get him. Everyone with any sense backed off him cause word was out all over the streets that he had a crooked coach pimping him out. Only the boldest cheaters in all of college football would be arrogant enough to sign him. And look what happened....you stooooopid bammers got picked!
LMAO.gif

According to Milton Kirk, this is incorrect. He claimed that Auburn offered $25,000 to Lynn Lang for Albert Means' signature.

The players that they interviewed at auburn ms.state and bama would not have told the truth .That was a dumb way that the NCAA used to try to get something on Ole Miss

Wrong. Tubby quit recruiting him and no one at AU was reported to have offered anything for fat albert

Milton Kirk at first said Auburn wasn't involved. Then later he claimed that Auburn offered $25,000 for Means' signature.

However, he made this revelation the week that Carnell Williams took his official visit to Tennessee. So maybe he was telling the truth, or maybe he was putting out timely propaganda to try to steer Carnell to Tennessee.

Milton Kirk at first said Auburn wasn't involved. Then later he claimed that Auburn offered $25,000 for Means' signature.

However, he made this revelation the week that Carnell Williams took his official visit to Tennessee. So maybe he was telling the truth, or maybe he was putting out timely propaganda to try to steer Carnell to Tennessee.

billyblindsidebaelish "likes" his own post. LMAO

Not as dumb as you frantically hopping from one foot to the other while juggling your alter egos, billyblindsidebaelish. And let's not forget how you "like" your own posts. LMAO!

I just went and liked one of his posts just cause you are crying about it LMAO!

Bowl ban coming for Ole Miss has sidewalkers salty LMAO!

How much did msu pay simmonsm, apparently ya'll paid him more than ole miss and other schools were offering?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT