ADVERTISEMENT

1976 OM Football.... Slow Saturday Morning Flashback

wpman1

All-Pro NFL
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2002
I saw the thread about the Nashville RV bomb and got to thinking about Nashville.

A memorable football road trip for me was the 1976 Vandy game in Nashville.. I didn't know I had a ride until like 10pm the night before... Four of us beefy guys piled into a small car at 6am and made the four hour drive to Nashville up Hwy 7 to Jackson, TN, then east on I-40 to Nashville.

It was a cold, windy late October game.. It was also Vandy's Homecoming game.. Ancient Dudley Field was still a steel horseshoe-like stadium that barely had 30,000 seats. We didn't have any trouble parking...

OM played their C-game and still won 20-3... Afterwards, us OM guys hit Broadway to take in a "Bourbon Street" like experience... We cruised up and down Broadway.... About the time Glen Campbell was singing:

.......I've been walkin' these streets so long
Singin' the same old song
I know every crack in these dirty sidewalks of Broadway
Where hustle's the name of the game
And nice guys get washed away like the snow in the rain......

We didn't get washed away by the rain, but ended up at a place called The Black Poodle in Printer's Alley. That place was packed with former Vandy football players sporting their black V Club blazers.. We were all blown away by the nimble gyrations of club headliner Heaven Lee...

The game was a win, but very lackluster... It was the last win of the season... OM would lose its final three games to LSU, Tennessee, and MSU by double digit margins, which turned up the heat on Coach Ken Cooper..

At least the memories of Dudley Field and The Black Poodle are still with me 48 years later...

Some newspaper visuals for your pleasure(?)..

1976-Ole-Miss-Vandy-Football-Story-smaller-jpg.jpg

Heaven-Lee-Black-Poodle-Ad-1976-smaller-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.