ADVERTISEMENT

5 Key Phrases for Managing Expectations in 2024 from a retired (for now) coach

umgrad92

Second Team QB
Gold Member
It is almost football season again, so I will become a regular poster again on this site instead of just a reader/observer. I hope that my participation on the posting side of this site will be positive and provide an extra view of how things go throughout the season.
2024 could be the season...THE SEASON... that we have all dreamed about, some of us for all of our lives. We have all been here before, with only marginal success to show for our excitement. 1970, 1987, 1999, 2003, 2009, and 2015 have all been seasons in my lifetime (I was only one year old in 1970, but still) where the excitement and expectation level exceeded the results. We, like every fan base, have THOSE fans who are easily baited by our rival institutions' fans, leading to an uncontrollable urge to spout off and overload the wagon. This sometimes leads to ending up having to eat a lot of crow, which leads to frustrations and even a temporary loss of sanity. Here are 5 phrases for Rebel fans to remember when dealing with managing expectations in 2024.

5. "We have a chance to have a pretty good year if we can just stay healthy and do the little things to give ourselves a chance to win!"
This phrase will come off as confident but humble and give your adversaries the idea (even if false) that you are realistic and reasonable.

4. "We have a chance to be special this year,...if we can maintain our focus and not let ourselves be complacent and listen to all the 'rat poison' about how good we are".
This phrase, like #5, will present you as a person who is confident in the talent and coaching that we have, but capable of seeing the whole picture, not just the finished product that is on the field on Saturdays.

3. "The talent is there to possibly have a big season if we show we can overcome inevitable adversity, take care of the football, and catch a few breaks at critical times".
Like #5 and #4, this phrase will demonstrate your ability to use rationale and think critically( again, even if it is false) when faced with the possibility that things won't always be peaches and cream.

If being controlled and tempered in your emotional investment in Ole Miss football is just not possible for you, here are a couple of "zingers" that will definitely put you on your adversaries speed dial should things go south for Ole Miss in 2024.

2. "This team is the most talented team we have ever had. Taking that and our schedule into consideration, the ONLY thing I am worried about losing this year is the COIN TOSS!"
I first heard this phrase at a coaching clinic from a rival SEC HC. They had a lot of talent and were poised for a big season. WARNING: They finished 7-5 that season as injuries and inopportune misfortune hampered their season.

1. "I hate poor mouthing. I believe if you are going to be good, say you are going to be good. We are going to go 16-0, win the SEC and National Championship, and there isn't a _ _ _ _ thing you can do about it!"
Again, heard this phrase at a coaching clinic. The coach is/was a Mississippi High School coaching legend. His squad had just gone 15-0 and won the state championship. I required two first-year coaches that I hired for our staff to go hear him speak, and this phrase was their big takeaway. So there's that approach too.

Ok, this is my reintroduction to posting on this site. I have looked at each team's rosters (hopefully they are all complete and updated) and have spent some time studying the schedules. I hope to post predictions for each team in the next week or so. Whatever happens, it is going to be a fun ride. ALL THE WAY in 24! National Champs! Hotty Toddy! HYDR!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.