ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: A few things on today's intrasquad

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
It's one day, one game and day one. I'm not making any sweeping opinions off of that.

I really like Hayden Dunhurst. I think he's going to be able to produce offensively immediately and eventually be a middle-of-the-order hitter. His receiving will get better but it's already solid, and he threw out three runners today. Good transition, good arm. He has a really high ceiling. He also hit a backside double today. Knox Loposer will play against certain left-handed starters and gives you a capable No. 2, but I think Dunhurst has a chance to separate himself if the transition and scouting reports don't really get him.

Jerrion Ealy had two hits today and would have had three if it were a real game because he was called out on an infield single when he was safe. As you can see in that Twitter video, his swing is improved from his last year at Prep. In high school it had gotten long and had a weird leg trigger that didn't suit his play and body type. But while he got out on his front a little on that first at-bat, he kept his hands back and squared up a Nikhazy breaking ball. His chance at playing is to have a short, mature swing, and today was a good sign. We'll see where it goes.

All the pitchers were where you want with velocity for this time of year. Around 90. Hoglund 89-90, bumped a 92. Nikhazy upper 80s. Myers and Broadway into the 90s. Pitchers are always ahead of the hitters this time of year.

Cade Sammons is a few weeks behind because of that knee injury. He played today, but I'm not judging him until he catches up a little bit.

Peyton Chatagnier and Justin Bench both played well today. They are in the middle of a good competition, but I think both play major roles somewhere.

Drew McDaniel and Derek Diamond are the two starting pitchers tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.