ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: A few thoughts...

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
This offense has been slumping for the last three weekends now, and the lineup being optimized won't solve all the issues, but I do think there's a way to try to string some innings together. Ole Miss is front-loading the order, but if you're going to do that, then really do it. Leading off Justin Bench makes the most sense with that. He just gets on base. Then go Gonzo, Elko and Graham and fill in from there. Chatagnier has one multi-hit game since May 4, though he has walked in five straight games. There's no reason to give him the most at-bats on the team currently, and he seems more comfortable in the middle-back of the order.

The speed of the pitching changes in the first inning decided the game. Scott Berry removed his starter after five batters and Mike removed McDaniel after nine batters. A couple of the hits as Myers neared being ready were bloops, and Bianco was trying to get Drew through the inning, but that was a critical difference between the two sides and the difference in how the rest of the game played out.

Tomorrow feels like such the ultimate swing game for this stage of Mike's tenure -- maybe not with Keith in an immediate sense but in every other way. From fan belief to how the program is viewed. I think fans still buy tickets because it's fun and it's a good product from a season ticket situation, but I'm not sure revenue is the best way to gauge fan contentment with the overall product. He's a good to great regular season coach, but the stats change significantly based off of tomorrow. A win and it's a super regional in two straight postseasons and a hell of a coaching job around injuries and some holes in the roster. A loss tomorrow and it's three of four hosting regionals without the Rebels advancing including 1-4 in games that would advance the Rebels to a super regional. It's also Southern Miss which adds a layer to it. A in-state program with less resources that had to play an extra game. The magnification of postseason failures would increase exponentially. Ole Miss' offense isn't peaking at the right time and pitching depth or at least pitching management made for a tough day. Fans still whisper when talking about 2018 and tomorrow is even more of a drastic swing based off which team moves on around 3 p.m. tomorrow. There's no middle ground.

Tyler Myers competed like crazy tonight. Hats off to that kid. On the other side, so many at-bats just weren't competitive. Southern Miss used bottom of the bullpen arms and stymied Ole Miss after that first inning.

I expect Adcock to start tomorrow. I'd give real thought to throwing Dougherty out there first.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.