ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: Akers thread No. 28181717191

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
I'm going to Clinton tonight. It's the biggest commitment in Mississippi of the Rivals.com era, seriously. Not using hyperbole. So, I'll be there.

As I mentioned in several threads last night, no one outside his family truly knows where he is going. No one. That said, we have dug around on some of the sourcing that the FSU media is using to base their predictions. It's good. It is more extensive than just Tim Brewster, and it is more extensive than just Cam Akers' dad. If either of us were FSU beat writers with the same sourcing, we would make the same prediction. If it's Ole Miss tonight, the FSU media will need to look long and hard at seemingly good sources. Frankly, that would be the bigger blow to them than just being wrong on a prediction. I'm not sure what information they will be able to trust moving forward if he chooses Ole Miss.

Again, in saying that, Ole Miss people are confident, but I wouldn't say they are cocky or certain about it. In fact, no one I've spoken with is certain, and I've talked to a lot of people. A lot of people are trying to connect dots (close to home, family members, stepdad even, Clinton staff, etc).

I've been doing this for 10 years, and I have a bit of a gut about confidence levels. It's why I posted multiple times last night that there is a ton of Ole Miss chatter and in-state confidence with the Rebels, but despite that I've had a weird feeling about it. There's levels of confidence, and I've seen them all. This feels like hopeful confidence and a situation where Ole Miss feels it has done as well as it could, but there remains a lack of a definitive answer.

Tonight, I'll be sitting there. If he chooses Ole Miss, there will certainly be signs along the way that indicated that, and I won't be surprised at all. However, the same holds true if he picks up something Seminole-related. We've tried to be as transparent as possible with our coverage. Like I said in the beginning, no one knows. No one. The whole thing has a strange feel to it, even without the FSU strong opinions, and and even more so when sources tell FSU media that's a certainty to it with them. I can't discount that when I know the sourcing on it.

So, we'll continue to update throughout as needed, and we'll be there either way -- for the Ole Miss jubilation or despair.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News