ADVERTISEMENT

Bad play calling

Defense played well except for Bama's drive before half. We need to step it up on offense if we are to win. 96 yards in 1st half will not get the job done! P.S. Who called the timeout on last drive before half when time was running out on UA? Dumb and dumber?

"Three thing
Guess what guys, we won the game without having to have a power running game like so many cry about on here. Short passes do the same thing as a running game.
Yes, we won the game, but as Freeze said there are many areas where we need improvement. Short yardage running is definitely one of those areas. As former Texas coach Darrell Royal said, "When you throw the ball, three things can happen and two are bad". A balanced offense should be the goal.

Old school people will always think old school. You don't have to have a a big time running game to win ballgames. You can run it outside or in the middle from time to time but we are a passing offense either embrace it or find another team lol. I have never heard any coach go to the run to win games in crunch time. Freeze can say he wants to run the ball all he wants but the first 5 or so plays the other night were all passes.

Reactions: Fishing123
I think that the "cutesy" plays/packages that Freeze likes to run on short-yardage situations are a bit ridiculous. I would love to see him abandon those.

My bad it was second and 1. It's called a pop pass look it up.
Ohhh.. I should "look it up". Ohhh..

Anyhow, perhaps you consider that a "cutesy" play but I do not. I am referring to any play that involves:.

1. A bullet-speed swing pass from to a defensive lineman from back-up QB which results in a drop.
2. A pretend "I didn't get the play" motion from back-up QB coinciding with a direct snap to a lineman/tight-end that goes nowhere.
3. A "heavy set" with all personnel bunched in tight with a direct snap to a lineman/tight-end that goes nowhere.

None of this crap fools anyone and seems to fail 90% of the time.

Defense played well except for Bama's drive before half. We need to step it up on offense if we are to win. 96 yards in 1st half will not get the job done! P.S. Who called the timeout on last drive before half when time was running out on UA? Dumb and dumber?
I did a little research and it was indeed Dumb and Dumber, the movie, that called that timeout.

You can't run inside against Alabama. Other teams, yes. Too big and fast. Got to run on the outside, or throw it. We did great, considering. Wilkins and Judd are doing a better job so far as compared to last year. Instead of running a lineman/tight-end, what about Walton or Brazley a la McCluster a few years ago? Speed instead of weight.

I would love to see the heavy package with Swag at QB. That way we still have viable passing options out of that formation. I also think Swag is the best runner of the 3 QB's so it seems like a win win to me.

This formation resulted in a touchdown when Liggins handed the ball off to Wilkins on the speed sweep.
But ended up with a turn-over on downs towards the end of the game when Liggins failed to make it. I'm all for the hand-off to Wilkins. They should do that more often instead of trying to force it up the gut into a mass of bodies.

But ended up with a turn-over on downs towards the end of the game when Liggins failed to make it. I'm all for the hand-off to Wilkins. They should do that more often instead of trying to force it up the gut into a mass of bodies.

So we should only get in that formation if we are running the jet sweep with our RB that is lined up wide? How long do you think that's going to take other teams to figure out how to stop? Every play in our offense has multiple options out of it. That's what the spread does. Now that teams have seen us run the power and sweep out of it they have to prepare for both. At some point this year don't be surprised to see one of the big guys in that formation slip out for a reception after the sweep and power are faked. Football is a chess game. Not everyone gets chess just like not everyone gets football. If everyone understood why we do the things we do then coaches wouldn't get paid so much.

Reactions: Beatlesreb

This reminds me of a comment I heard at a high school game one night. The offense was struggling (against a FAR superior team...but, to parents that doesn't matter) to move the ball when, finally, the RB broke one up the middle for about 15 yards. Then one fool stands up and yells, "There you go coach! Now, quit running those plays that don't work and stick with the ones that do!" Alignments, missed assignments, poor match-ups...there are so many variables as to whether a play is successful or not. Play-calling is not an exact science. I'd say the coach of the team that leads the nation in offensive efficiency is doing a fair job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beatlesreb
Well, my whole stupid point I guess was this: in short-yardage and 4th down situations, it gives me more confidence when our offensive play-makers handle the ball instead of trying to pull of trickery, shenanigans, and tom-foolery.

Well, my whole stupid point I guess was this: in short-yardage and 4th down situations, it gives me more confidence when our offensive play-makers handle the ball instead of trying to pull of trickery, shenanigans, and tom-foolery.

We pulled a right tackle in the Liggins heavy formation on 4th and short at the end of the game. The OT only became an impediment as he had no space to maneuver and then the unblocked Bama DT then hit Liggins for a loss. Why is it necessary to pull a linemen in that formation in that down and distance?

How about lining up helmet to helmet and when the bugle sounds, everyone charge? It also seems Liggins is not very quick. Might be better with Wilkins taking a direct snap...Or Robert Nkemdiche maybe?

And it's cheating the way Freeze runs it. We'll know soon what the SEC Officials decided today.
f221a685-43f1-4df5-a177-5e36ede084cc.png

Guys, forget the troll. The better team doesn't fumble it twice on a kick off. The better team doesn't throw three interceptions. The better team doesn't make excuses after the game is over. The. better. team. won. the. game.

Guys, forget the troll. The better team doesn't fumble it twice on a kick off. The better team doesn't throw three interceptions. The better team doesn't make excuses after the game is over. The. better. team. won. the. game.

Is that like last year when Ole Miss fumbled twice in the final 5 mins against aubarn, both times inside aubarn's 10 yard-line?

xkon9gvdo2md8vfghr5k.jpg

Very poor effort on offense. When are we ever going to have an offensive line that can block! Very embarrassing!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT