ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Best guess at the 2018 lineup

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Here’s my best guess at next year’s lineup after seeing at least the initial impact from the MLB Draft. I’m sure I’ll change my mind about some of this once the fall comes and goes or if there are any attrition surprises.

C - Cooper Johnson

I really liked his at-bats at the end of the year. I think you’ll see consistent progression as long as you don’t ask him to do too much.

1B - Nick Fortes

He’ll catch some, as well, and I think he’s better when he’s in the game defensively rather than DH.

2B - Anthony Servideo

We’ll see. I hear good things, but this could be Olenek or others also. I had Bryce Blaum penciled here two months ago.

SS - Grae Kessinger

No-brainer if he’s healthy. He should be healthy.

3B - Ryan Olenek

Olenek can play five different positions, but with this lineup I have him here. If Elko hits like he’s capable then the freshman can play third and Olenek can be at second or in the outfield.

LF - Carl Gindl/Bryan Seamster

Gindl can run and is a natural centerfielder but typically Mike doesn’t play freshmen in center. If he hits he’ll play. I want to see Seamster’s progression, but Gindl is going to push for the spot I think depending on other offensive pieces in the lineup.

CF - Will Golsan

Outfield seems to be his most natural position, and he’s a very steady presence that Ole Miss needed back. He should be the captain. He has the right temperament for it and leads well.

RF - Thomas Dillard

He’s had some nice flashes in the Cape so far this summer. He has to get stronger mentally, and the bat speed concerns me, but there’s a lot of talent if he progresses and learns from the adversity.

DH - Rowe, Elko, Keenan, Gillespie, Zabowski, Cockrell

Play the hot bat. Don’t care who it is.

Friday - Ryan Rolison

This is a lock.

Saturday - James McArthur

Needs more consistency, but I think throwing on Saturday will help him. Less pressure, gets a peek at the opponent the day before. Needs to continue to develop that third pitch so he can get through the order the second time better.

Sunday - Brady Feigl

He’s going to be groomed as a starter this fall.

Tuesday - Greer Holston

No reason to mess it up. It works.

Wednesday - Jordan Fowler

He has a lot of upside, but let’s see how he transitions.

Close - Dallas Woolfolk

Duh.

7th/8th - Ethridge/Stokes

This is the simplest way to configure the lineup, but Ethridge may end up starting. That’s dependent on Stokes and Fowler as much as anything. Will can fit where he’s needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.