ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Couldn't sleep so watched replay

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Some stream of consciousness thoughts while seeing it from a different angle

Just a great at-bat by Williams-Sutton to start the game. Parkinson threw at least three quality out pitches with two strikes. The breaking ball that DWS just chipped foul as soon as he got two strikes was the best one. He changed speeds and angles during the at-bat, but then left that last pitch up and over the plate.

Olenek with nice bat control on that double. Looked to drive it opposite field the whole way. He got a little pull happy aggressive at times last season.

Good gosh Will Golsan didn't miss that. I didn't realize how well that came off the bat live.

I was really impressed with Thomas Dillard's swings. He was confident and far from bashful -- even on the at-bats that didn't amount to anything. His first swing of the day was that foul back that he just missed. He'll learn to mash those over time.

Olenek did the bow and arrow thing three times after catching a routine fly ball. Can't fault his energy.

ECU had such a good night hitting with two strikes. Brickhouse in the fourth got jammed with two strikes and still pushed it off the wall.

My God Cooper Johnson. The slide inside to glove that poor pitch from Parkinson in the fourth and keep the runner at second. Not just catching it, but he kept his body square and was ready to throw immediately.

It's funny how the baseball will find you when things aren't going well. All three doubles went toward Dillard during that fourth inning. Credit to him for staying composed and executing the throw on the last one. He'll improve out there, and he was dealing with the ball carrying more than normal.

The ECU CF certainly should have stopped Cockrell's single, but that ball was moving more than I thought it was live. It was smoked. Cockrell moved hard out of the box to be able to comfortably get to third.

Really nice swing by Dillard on the double. Got the barrel to it inside and has strong hands. I Tweeted live that Dillard made a bad decision on the attempt to get to third. With the way it hit the home plate umpire, he was just unlucky. You'd like to see it clear the umpire before you take off with no outs, but it was going to the backstop had it not hit the ump. He would have had plenty of time to advance had he waited to see clearance, but it wasn't egregious.

Cole Zabowski had a really nice offensive day from an at-bat and swing standpoint. That ball to the track early on was ripped. And I mentioned it last night, but his defense was better than I expected. Moved his feet and used his frame at first base.

Parkinson looked good in the 7th as he neared 100 pitches. Good sign. Velocity was fine and the pitches didn't flatten out. Mike had Rolison and Green up during that inning, but once it got to the 8th he went to Stokes to make sure nothing weird happened.

Yeah, Cooper's arm is OK.

Krukzynski mixed pretty well and hit all quadrants. Threw that cutter into right-handers effectively. He was better than I gave him credit for last night. Getting an angle where I could see the plate and the ball out of his hand, he was on.

Bortles really pulled off some hittable balls over the plate.

ECU has four or five hitters who could play about anywhere. Bolka, Brickhouse and especially DWS were impressive. Lot of wins coming in the American for the Pirates.

You'd think Ole Miss has a pitching advantage on Sunday with bullpen depth and Feigl against likely a true freshman. Saturday becomes a big opportunity for the Rebels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.