ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Couple commitments in town today

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
Ole Miss and Vanderbilt complete their three-game series to open SEC play at 3 p.m. Sunday. The game is on SEC Network.

2017 right-handed pitcher commit Steven Jennings will be here. The 6-foot-2, 175-pounder from Brush Creek (Dekalb County), Tennessee, will be here next season. He's rated No. 276 nationally and has a 4.0 GPA.

He hit 92 MPH at a Perfect Game event last summer.

Also in town is 2018 stud prospect Joe Gray from Hattiesburg. He's rated No. 4 nationally for his class and recently committed to Ole Miss over Auburn, Vanderbilt, MSU and others. 3.8 GPA.

When you're rated No. 4 the odds aren't good for you to show, and I put the show percentage at about 10 percent when he he committed. It's still under 50 percent, but I feel that the position has been strengthened recently as I've dug into it a little more. I'll detail more of that in a day or so when I have a chance to really lay it all out. It's just a puncher's chance, but you have a really good punch and the chin may be a touch exposed.

Gray scouting report:

Joe Gray Jr is a 2018 OF/IF, UT with a 6-2 185 lb. frame from Hattiesburg, MS who attends Hattiesburg. Large, athletic frame with square shoulders and long limbs, outstanding present athleticism with fast-twitch muscle throughout body. Primary outfielder, moves to the ball very well with long strides, full arm action coming through the back and gets on top of throws well, plus arm strength and projects for more, gains momentum and works over front side well, ball comes out cleanly with carry and accuracy. Righthanded hitter, begins swing with a high leg lift trigger for timing, active hands with some timing mechanisms to swing. Loose wrists with easy swing coming through zone, solid present bat speed with a line drive swing plane, ball jumps off hard to pull side and projects for even more strength moving forward. Turns the barrel nicely and generates backspin at point of contact, easy power when squared off the barrel. Highest level tools across the board. Very good student. named to Junior National Top Prospect List.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fabius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.