ADVERTISEMENT

Devotion

taylorj77

Five-Star Prospect
Gold Member
May 4, 2009
Genesis 27-29

Genesis 27:21: “And Isaac said unto Jacob, Come near, I pray thee, that I may feel thee, my son, whether thou be my very son Esau or not.”

What a said day in the life of Isaac. This story is about the destruction caused by sensualism. What we see did not happen in a day but over time. Isaac did not lose his spiritual discernment suddenly, but slowly and steadily over the years.

Issac was deceived by his spouse. Jacob received a blessing due to the deceitful work of his mother, Rebekah. Today, more than ever, we need parents who will stand together in every decision they make. In the passage we also see how easy it is to change stories quickly in the line of deceitful work. In verse 13, Rebekah says to Jacob, “upon me be the curse.” Yet, in verse 45 she says, “….until thy brothers anger turn away from thee, and he forget that which THOU hast done to him.” All of a sudden, it’s Jacobs fault! Jacob was just like Rebekah, and his father was on the receiving end of a deceitful wife and son.

Isaac was disappointed by his sons. Jacob presumed to deceive his father and steal from his own brother. Even though the blessing was his guy right because of prophecy, he should have waited for God’s timing. And what about Esau? This man of the world has no spiritual desire and wanted to receive spiritual satisfaction by satisfying his fathers carnal appetites. After Jacob completed his act of deception, Esau became so angry and twisted in his mind that he unleashed his venom toward his parents by immediately marrying someone of whom they disapproved. Isaac lost both of his boys that he loved so much.

Isaac was destroyed by his senses. Every sense failed him but one. His taste destroyed him. He asked Esau to make him “savory meat, such as I love.” But then he couldn’t even taste the difference between venison and mutton after Jacob deceived him. Evidently he didn’t love it like he thought he did! His sense of touch also failed him. He even told Jacob that he wanted to “feel thee, my son, whether thou be my very son Esau.” Don’t be governed by your feelings, they will destroy you. The next verse say he felt Jacob, but was deceived by the wooly skins of the sheep that Jacob had placed on his arms and his neck. His sight also failed him. Verse 1 says,”his eyes were dim, so that he could not see.” The Bible instructs us in 2 Corinthians 5:7 to “walk by faith not by sight”. His sense of smell also deceived him. Verse 27 says that as Jacob came to kiss his father, Isaac smelled his garments. Jacob was wearing Esau’s clothing, the clothing of the world, and by that he deceived his own father.

The only sense that was not deceived was Isaac’s hearing. Verse 22 says, “The voice is Jacobs voice.” Isaac knew it Jacobs voice he was hearing, but he was unwilling to trust what he heard. Have you heard the Word of God today? Do you believe it? We better learn to hear Gods voice now, for the time will come when you will have every sense telling you something contrary to what you know is right, but the only thing that matters is what God has told you! Isaiah 30:21 says, “And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.”

Blessing Rebs!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News