ADVERTISEMENT

Evaluating AK: "Your numbers are what they say you are."

Bobforapples

SEC Player of the Year
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2002
The post by crw416 below was excellent and illustrates what I've been saying about AK for years. He's an average coach that relies on talent to beat lesser teams yet struggles against equal or better competition. Seldom is the game where you look back and say that AK out coached his opponent. He doesn't typically adjust well during games (see last night as a perfect example). Rather than call timeouts to get the team's attention or immediately substitute when players make stupid decisions (looking at you Jarvis and Stephan), he simply lets them play on without any consequences. Then, at the end of the game, he complains that the players don't "get it" or "weren't focused" enough. It's got the look of undisciplined...yes I'll say it...street ball. And before Neal or Jeffrey suggest otherwise, there's absolutely no racial connotation on my part with that term. I'm simply describing that our team at times looks more like an AAU team than an SEC basketball team. Players do whatever they want with little coaching influence.

Look, AK is a personable guy. He's no Kevin O'Neill that used to be at Tennessee...a reprehensible human being that people detested. Indeed, people around town like Andy, particularly those who have individual interaction with him. He's great with the press which is likely one of the reasons they are so quick to defend him. That said, this team as much as any other, totally illustrates people's continued frustration with Kennedy. He had a team loaded with upperclassmen, particularly seniors, and yet they often play undisciplined playground ball in that they jack up bad shots, don't distribute the basketball consistently, often play out of control, and don't play much defense. All of that occurred last night in spades, and unfortunately they are hallmarks of AK's tenure at Ole Miss. Out talent the teams you're supposed to beat, and get out worked or out coached by equal or superior talent. Your numbers are what they say you are.

And before anyone pipes up about how he had a team full of transfers, a fact that is true, who's fault was that? He recruited the guys he ran off, and he assembled the guys he brought in to replace them. For good or ill, that is ALL on Andy Kennedy. Andy may well back into the NCAA tournament this season, if so congratulations to him. I don't wish him ill; to do so wishes Ole Miss ill. However, I continue to be amazed by the Kennedy apologists, many in the media and on this board, who think Ole Miss can't expect better and that he will somehow turn into a better coach if only "X" occurs. First it was remodeling Tad Smith, then it was the basketball practice facility, then it was renewing his contract so he wouldn't look like a lame duck on the coaching trail, and now it's the new arena. Please. Kennedy will be the same mediocre to above average coach he always has been. He'll overwhelm inferior opponents and get outfoxed by better coaching. To expect different after 9 seasons is the definition of insanity. Your numbers are what they say you are.

P.S. As yourself, what's the reason no one has ever come after AK like they have with other successful coaches at Ole Miss (i.e. Freeze, Tuberville, Rob Evans, or Bianco)? It's because they know what he is, and they are looking for something better. Everyone else can see it, but apparently a good portion of our fan base cannot. Your numbers are what they say you are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News