ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: First Look: How Ole Miss may fare in MLB Draft

Chase Parham

RebelGrove.com Editor
Staff
May 11, 2009
The 2020 MLB Draft will be five rounds and is expected to begin on June 10. Whether it’s a one or two day event, I have no idea. Slot values for the Draft are the same as 2019 and after the five rounds teams can sign an unlimited number of free agents but the max signing bonus for free agents is $20,000.

The main question that will dictate how Ole Miss — and other major programs — is impacted revolves around the number of organizations who try to maximize a couple spots in the draft versus the number who try to stay true to slot all the way through the five rounds. Some organizations will try to land a couple or three prospects of value and pay seven figures each and then shave the money down in the other two or three spots kind of like how teams typically sign seniors for pennies in rounds 7-10.

I expect a college-heavy draft because the college players are a more known commodity, especially with the different scouting tools available when it comes to players are any type of major program. Also with the loss of a high school season, there’s not the chance of late helium and kids blowing up a month before the draft. That happened when Ole Miss lost Jennings and Lemons in the 2017 class.

From a high school standpoint, Ole Miss has several third-to-fifth round possibilities, but I’m just not hearing anything on them. I think the likelihood currently — though things can change — is that the entire class hows to campus. It’s worth watching these players, but they would have been candidates for late helium and that opportunity now doesn’t exist.

Kemp Alderman - 1B, No. 46

Calvin Harris - C, No. 91

Jacob Gonzalez - SS, No. 131

TJ McCants - SS, No. 138

Josh Mallitz - RHP , No. 461

McCants is the toolsiest of the group, but he had a hamstring injury early this spring and didn’t fare great last summer. Some team could get crazy, but as of now I’m not hearing it.

Mallitz showed really good velocity this spring before Florida shut down the season. He’s a big frame at 6-foot-4 and could draw some interest in the fourth or fifth. It’s at least something to follow.

I don’t expect any current players to sign as free agents for the $20,000 or less. If I had to guess at one, maybe Austin Miller, but he hasn’t graduated and could get at worst a similar amount next year. And there’s not going to be a Minor League season potentially this year anyway. I expect Tim Elko and the JUCO transfers back. 

I think Anthony Servideo could go as highly as the second round and I think he’s gone. He really helped himself this spring. I think Tyler Keenan is the one to watch. He’s a first baseman at the next level and scouts are conflicted with great stats and a body that doesn’t lend to much other than first base. I’d lean toward a team drafting him late in the draft, but I wouldn’t be stunned if he’s back — as long as he doesn’t lower his number significantly.

With the high school guys, several could get drafted if they are willing to take 300 grand or 400 grand, but at normal signability, it looks unlikely.

I’ll continue to update as it gets closer, but that’s a first look.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.