ADVERTISEMENT

Fishoil's 10 Monday Thoughts

fishoil

Four-Star Prospect
Oct 1, 2014
10 Weekend Thoughts

Everyone on the boreds loves Neil's 10 weekend thoughts, and since I'm very similar to Neil as both a writer and a thinker, and Monday is close to the weekend, I figure I won't deprive everyone of the 10 important thoughts. (Editers note: no need to comment, I already know these will be better then Neil's and if you disagree please keep you're opinions to yourselfs.) Thanks in advance everyone.

1. Ole Miss heads into the SEC tournament on the cusp of our 8th NCAA tournament appearance in school history. Ole Miss basketball is alot like me on the boreds: a few people love it, most people are indifferent, and a couple of bros don't like it at all. I think we can all agree Ole Miss will never be a basketball school, and we can all float potential reasons why: we've never had a culture of winning (a good program)/a transcendent player, Ole Miss demographics/tradition and basketball's urban culture, or the prevalence of football and baseball relative to basketball in the Southeast. I imagine it's a mixture of all three. We should all be excited about what AK has done this year with this team, and appreciate a 4 year starter at point guard, two graduate transfers who found their role, a 5'8 JUCO heat check guy who will be a first team all conference selection, a big man from Spain, Snoop White's trick or treat personality, Martavious Newby doing his Tony Allen lite impersonation, from waving towels on the bench to playing hard defense and never knowing where the ball will end up when he releases his shot, and a group of guys who look like they enjoy watching each other play well. It's been a season plagued by inconsistent play, but man, this really is a fun group of guys to watch play. Hats off to AK for getting this bunch to play together.

2. Former Ole Miss linebacker announced his retirement from the NFL today. I for one, am glad Willis retired. The NFL is a flawless business, their business model, revenue streams, infrastructure, and leadership are impeccable. So why am I excited Willis retired from teh NFL at the ripe age of 30? Because his retirement opens up a spot for a less decorated player, a blue collar type who is more concerned about filling holes than filling seats. It shouldn't surprise anyone a player named WILLis focused on the end of his career, not the end of his playbook. Professional sports are much better than college sports for plenty of reasons, and Willis choosing to quit and end his career as a run stuffer makes the NFL more of a fun stuffer when an undrafted rookie finally gets his chance to lace up his cleats at Levi stadium and replace an uber talented player like Willis. The NFL is a next man up league, and frankly I bet Goddell is happier to have one fewer player who spent time playing in clubs in college and the NFL out of the league. Plus he can come back to Ole Miss more and teach our guys about defense he learned in the NFL, not the MeFense we see in college.

3. Apple came out with a watch today and call me old fashion, but I prefer the good old days when we had to use a computer or smart phone to use the internet. The only positive that comes out of this super watch is people can make pretty funny jokes about watching their watch when there checking out the latest sode (abbreviation for episode imo) of the Bachleor waiting at the DMV or driving on the highway. I mean, we need to be careful with all the screens in our lives, plus I can think of a certain time in history one human wished he didn't get an Apple as a new product that would change everything,. that's write, I'm talking about the Garden of Eden.

4. I played one of my favorite games on the World Wide Web today, it's called "compare the headlines on FoxNews and CNN websites" . It's pretty easy, you go to the two news sites and compare the headlines. It's pretty fun imo, especially if you get board at work.

5. Chris Johnson literally got shot this weekend in Florida. I saw some people making jokes at his expense on the new social media website www.Twitter.com, and I have to say i was pretty disappointed. We should applaud Chris for spending so much time in the great state of Florida without getting shot, and now we can compare his YPB (yards per bullet) to his YPC (about 2.5), opening up a whole new world to the NFL data collectors. Plus he was probably excited at some level, since it's the biggest hole he's seen since he signed with the Jets.

6. Speaking of www.Twitter.com I read on the boards all the time about tweeting recruits. Called me Bare Bryant because I see the elephant in the room, you're probably at your computer wondering, OMG, what does Fishoil think about tweeting at recruits?? First off, calm down lol. Second off, I think we need to tweet at recruits alot more. Think about it, they are 17-19 year old males and total strangers can make a huge impact by tweeting "Hotty Toddy." If we don't tweet at them, the player's' will never learn our school colors or chants, and that gives us the edge over other schools, because when they visit they won't know what color to wear or the team mascot when they visit LSU or Bama. Lastly, I'm sure they take what you tweet at them into consideration when picking a college, I know we pick our vocations based off random strangers posting at our facebook walls or @ing us on Twitter. SO keep tweeting at every prospect multiple times a day and explain to them we are the Rebels but our mascot is a bear. Lastly, as a lover of capitalism, Chris Hansen made a career on 50 year old men using the internet to contact teenagers, so we need to keep the job market up and help out Obama some imo...

7. I'm saddened to hear about Neil's vision loss, and honestly I wish Jeff was the one losing his vision. If he does, we'll finally hear more about hot prospects instead of hot chicks. It saddens me the podcast revolves around OT subjects, since this is LITERALLY a college football message board. I would rather hear about pad level then cleavage level, and am more interested in Devin White's chest size instead of Kate Upton's bra size (editers note: the only time I want to hear about bra sizes is when we're recruiting elite prospects from California who surf in there free time).

8. Chad Kelly has to do some community service. Here are a few things he could do to serve the Oxford community this summer.
- help the construction teams for the new gentlemen's clubs coming to Oxford soon
-be the mascot at baseball games
- Hang out with Neil once a week and start a support group around Oxford for men who have more hair on their chests than their heads
- be a mentor at the Boys and Girls club (actually scratch this one, he doesn't have the best track record at clubs)
- attend the NCAA women's tournament
- orientation leader

9. Their was a very important poll on RebelGrove a few weeks ago, and Ryan Buchanan was named our most attractive football player, so if your wife/gf gets board during games just tell her to be on the lookout for #9. He won't be in Hateti, but if we was they literally might rename the island Loveti. Neil, when you interview Ryan, and he gives you his two scents, I bet they'll be Polo and Armani.

10. I know this isn't a good place to discuss politics or race, and to honor Neil I'm linking an article. Read this as a piece coming from man in his late twenties discussing dreams and failure, and how the opportunities we don't receive open new doors in our lives.

http://grantland.com/features/barack-obama-selma-50th-anniversary/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News