ADVERTISEMENT

Fumbling kickoffs and punts

Beatlesreb

Three-Star Prospect
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2015
Panama City, FL
I may be going out the limb here, but I see this game won or lost on special teams. Alabama fumbled the ball on kickoffs, and I have a hunch we may do the same. Carlos Davis, as quick as he is, has been fumble prone, and Florida is out to cause fumbles. That is their goal. Walton will help on kickoffs. But Davis will be exploited. I see this as our only weakness. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't know about "only weakness ", but I'm concerned about Davis' aggressive nature on punt returns as well. First priority against SEC teams should be to catch and secure the ball. Punt returns are exciting, but turnovers can flip field position and cause momentum swings in a game. Against tough opponents, being more conservative in fielding punts should be part of game plan.

By "conservative" you mean just catch and secure the ball-playing it safe?
Davis is aggressive, and took chances in first two games resulting in big plays. I feel against SEC special teams, taking chances could be disastrous. Of course, if a line-drive punt, the odds of a punt return increases. Returner must use good judgement, and yes, catching and securing the punt is paramount.

Reactions: Beatlesreb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT